The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While every sound I heard was terrible, and it's way beyond anything I can even comprehend, I still really want one. Which I will then sell after having no idea how to use it.
Guilty as charged! While I won't any practical use for it, I would totally lost a whole day toying with it!

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
The Roland Aira modules have a similar sort of sensibility. Each physical module comes with not only audio and CVinputs and outputs, but a large set of virtual modules internally, that one can patch in whatever way you want. See here: Roland - AIRA Modular Customizer | AIRA Modular Customizer

I would imaging that Steve and Co. at Empress will provide or outsource applets for more easily visualizing patches between the various virtual effects in the unit.

I really have to speak to him about this one, so that maybe I'll be able to explain it better.

ADDENDUM: Just heard back from Steve, and have an invite for a tour once they get back from NAMM. Like with a great many products being debuted there, they're engaged in a lot of last-minute coding to eliminate bugs. Last thing you need when the folks with the cams and mics are there is a knockout product that chokes on you. Somehow, "I don't know what's wrong. It was working before I set it up here." just doesn't cut it on Youtube.

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
I saw the pic on IG and went "uuuh whaaat?"

So naturally I need to see what it can do.

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
I just watched the video from the Reverb page.

Damn.

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
The little display screen looks a lot like the "scope" on the Korg Minilogue. Makes one wonder if such a device comes in a plug-n-play form for other applications.

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
Do you have a project in mind?
I don't, personally, but wonder if we might start seeing such teeny screens/oscilloscopes showing up in other things. For instance, would one be able to "design" a waveform on a distortion, by tweaking knobs to achieve a visible result?

Very cool. I love voltage-controlled stuff. The Roland Demora module has many of the features found in the Strymon unit. Except that it also comes with a bunch of virtual "modules" that one can virtually "patch" in software, to complement what the physical mini-jacks are doing.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
OK this is a stupid question, is there a guitar going into that, or a keyboard or is it just making all sorts of weird noises on its own?

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
Ideally, it's a synth module, to fit in with the rest of Roland's modular series, although it can be used with guitar, assuming one gets the levels right. So, the input could be anything that provides a signal. The source could be a keyboard, a sequencer, or what have you.

I gather these were not hot sellers, because Steve's sold them off cheap. I bought the Torcido distortion unit, early last year. Still learning how to use it.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,110 Posts
I don't, personally, but wonder if we might start seeing such teeny screens/oscilloscopes showing up in other things. For instance, would one be able to "design" a waveform on a distortion, by tweaking knobs to achieve a visible result?

Very cool. I love voltage-controlled stuff. The Roland Demora module has many of the features found in the Strymon unit. Except that it also comes with a bunch of virtual "modules" that one can virtually "patch" in software, to complement what the physical mini-jacks are doing.
Just the picture makes my brain hurt :(

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Way to go empress. The blues guy won’t get this but noise dudes will be all over this.
Or maybe it will change Mustang Sally to Shelby Sally. And Crossroads to a multi-level cloverleaf.

Or not.

Reactions: mhammer

·
Registered
24,365 Posts
I get the weekly newsletters from Effectsdatabase, where they notify recipients of new effects "companies" and new pedals. Given the huge number of Me-too companies and pedals (fuzzes are into the 4-digits these days, and there are usually two new companies making a complete line of the usual pedals in 1590A boxes), it's nice to see something different for a change.

But yeah, not really the sort of thing that gigging players are going to bend over and tweak for requests.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts