The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried out the Eminence Speaker line: Patriots and Red Coats?

I was tired of the sound of my amp (Traynor YCV20WR) and I found that the Traynor was kinda tempermental when it came to pedals - some great pedals sounded ok and others which I didn't like sounded OK with this amp. I did a tube change (Sovteks to JJ's) which improved things somewhat but just not enough. A local salesperson suggested I swap the Greenback for a Vintage 30. I couldn't find a Vintage 30 at a decent price so I did some research and came up with the Governor. Picked it up for $90 at L&M. I threw the Governor in and WOW! Unbelievable difference. Sounds like a totally different amp. My OD pedals sound great through this speaker. Apparently it's similar to a Vintage 30 I've never tried a Vintage 30 so I can't really do a comparison. I'm sold on this line: reasonably priced speakers that sound fantastic.

Anyone else had experiences with Eminence speakers?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Eminence makes good speakers.

They also make alot of them and there are many unbranded OEMs that are made by Eminence. I believe (not sure, just speculating here) that they are probably the bigest speaker manufacturer in North America.

Changing speakers is a bit like changing strings, new speakers take time to break in and mellow out a bit and they fatigue over time. If you swap out the same make/model of speaker in your amp with a brand new one of the same make/model, you will notice a difference (in some cases drastic) in the sound of your cabinet.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had read somewhere that you can break in a speaker to some degree by running white noise through them for ??? hours. So I installed this speaker and ran white noise from the radio through it for 6 hours. Don't know if it actually broken in but it sure sounds nice now.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
I've just bought a Private Jack. I've yet to install it (and break it in). Give me time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the Wizard in my closed back cabs and the Private Jack in open backs. Both are excellent speakers and tremendous values.

I chose the Wiz over the PJ and Gov for the closed back cab because, IMO, it had a more balanced sound. The Gov was a little darker and the PJ a little more edgy. The Wiz can produce amazing clean, chimey tones and then beautiful thick OD and distorted tones. Very cool!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of getting a Private Jack but decided on the Governor because from what I had read it was more like a Vintage 30. I'm still intrigued with the Private Jack. I have a Red White and Blues to throw into a 1x12 closed back cab. I had it in the combo first but it was too shrill/chimey for me. Nice tight bass but the high end was too much. I'll see if the cab tames it a bit. I'm going to see how that pairs up with the Governor. I'm building a 2X12 right now to go with my Epi Valve Jr. (love that little thing). I've got a Greenback and a 70/80 to put into it. If I ever finish it, I will post some pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
I use a Private Jack in a ported 1x12 EarCandy cab and it sounds great. It did take a while to break in though.

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
I recently purchased a Randall Lynch Box Head and Cab. The cab speakers are Eminence Super V... George Lynch signature speakers. As a long time Greenback user I am very pleased with these speakers... sounded good out of the box but now that they are broken in they sound Great! Vintage British type voice.

Khing

·
Registered
561 Posts
Eminence has a demo cd available with samples of all their different models. I think the Tonker Lite is killer...under 5lbs ea.

Andy

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought an Eminence legend V12 from L&M for 70 bucks (that one is supposed to their version of a Vintage 30). I replaced one of the speaks in my 4x12 with it (I like to have different ones in their for recording, I mic up whichever one the song calls for). It definitely sounds like the Vintage 30s in my buddy's Marshall 4x12. His are a little nicer sounding because they were pre-broken in by Avatar (Hellatones). Mine only has maybe 2 hours of actual loud playing on it so it's a little crisp. I find V30s and my Legend V12 to be a little scooped sounding compared to other speaks... both in my cab and my buddy's cab which has a mix of V30 and Heritage G12H30... have lots of top high end sizzle but not as much mid to mid treble. This can make them sound quieter or less efficient in the same cab with other speaks. Great for taming dowm a harsh sounding guitar or amp though. I really like them mixed with other speakers but I think I might find them a little lacking in certain areas of the spectrum by themselves. After putting a Gibson '57 Classic Plus pickup in my SG which has tons of top end sizzle and bite on its own, my Legend V12 seems to accentuate that to being a bit over the top since I find this speaker has alot of that same top end sizzle. Sounds good though mixed with the Soldano X12000 speaker that's also in my cab which is a custom voiced Eminence made for Soldano years back... it has more mids and no top sizzle so it all balances out. By the way, Mike Soldano now loads his cabs with the Legend V12s... that's why I thought I'd try one out in my Epiphone So-Cal cabinet which is a Chinese built clone of the Soldano 4x12... Mike licensed his design to Epiphone.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:
I had read somewhere that you can break in a speaker to some degree by running white noise through them for ??? hours. So I installed this speaker and ran white noise from the radio through it for 6 hours. Don't know if it actually broken in but it sure sounds nice now.
Avatar breaks in their Hellatones (Celestion Vintage 30 and G12H30 Heritage) by running loud music through them for 15 hours (overnight in the shop's off hours).

·
Premium Member
4,298 Posts
I have the Eminence Governor in my YCX112 cab. I find it much better than the Celestion Vintage 30. I think the new Celestions are overpriced. I also have the Eminence Legend GB128, their clone of the greenbacks, and they are actually much better sounding than the original greenbacks that I have heard so far.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I have used the governor and red fang in the 12's and the lil buddy and ramrod 10's.

The governor was excellent, a lot like a V30 Celestion with less cone cry at high volumes.

The red fang is good also, i'm using it right now in my 112 cab with my Dr.Z Z28, and it very nice. I prefer the celestion blue, but it is very good. I find the red fang a bit brighter, less detailed in the mids, but it has a better bass response for sure than the blue, and the 30 watt power handling is a bonus.

The little buddy is very nice, darker than most, but with great mids and sounds fantastic overdriven, really smooth. The ramrod is brighter with really aggressive mids, and a much snappier response overall. I prefer the lil buddy but YMMV, both are good.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SkunkWorks said:
Avatar breaks in their Hellatones (Celestion Vintage 30 and G12H30 Heritage) by running loud music through them for 15 hours (overnight in the shop's off hours).
Guess I was on the right track then. Excellent. Does anyone know if Eminence makes a speaker similar to the Jensen C??N or Weber 12F150??

·
Registered
120 Posts
FWIW The V12 and red fang sound deadly together. Once broken in the V12 is kind of rolled off on the highs. But it is a killer cone.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Stratin2traynor said:
Guess I was on the right track then. Excellent. Does anyone know if Eminence makes a speaker similar to the Jensen C??N or Weber 12F150??

That's the one thing Eminence doesn't really seem to make. If they did, I would be very interested to try one. I think some of the speakers in the Legen series are about as close as they get to any Jensen repros.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Emi that most reminds me of the Weber 12F150 is a 10", the copperhead. These are really fine speakers, perfect for vibrolux reverbs just to name one. They have much efficiency and volume, also a solid bass, matched with a vintage type warmth and smoothness. In some ways similar to CRexes, my other favorite Emi speaker. Both of these have beautiful OD sounds when you get them loud. Not harsh in any way.

·
Banned
153 Posts
In a word I hate to say this tho, cause I dont want a run on them before I can snag 4 for my cabinet, but if youre looking for a fender sound , the freakin patriot Cannavbbis Rexs are A_W_E_S_O_M_E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts