The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently picked up an awesome Jackson V where someone added in a set of solderless EMGs (81/85). However I recently noticed:

When I’m on the bridge pickup, the volume pot works correctly however the tone does adjust anything.

When I’m on the neck pickup the Tone pot controls the volume and the Volume pot does nothing like the tone knob prior. They’re essentially backwards.

Does anyone have any quick insight before I go trying to switch connections around?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
EMG has a YouTube channel. This might help:

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
My brother has a bunch of EMG bass pickups with the quick connects and in both of our experience they're just super sketchy connectors. In a number of his basses we've just cut off the quick connects and soldered them.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
This soldering stuff should have been done 20 years ago. Electronics have come so far since everything was soldered. There are lots of QC systems that can be used that provide excellent connections. I have never bothered changing pickups since FX units are my way of getting the tones I want but if it did, my guitar would get a QC change the first time I changed a pickup.

·
Premium Member
17,254 Posts
I have a number of instruments with EMGs.

I solder the connections as I don’t have a need to swap pickups around.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Are you working with three controls? Two volumes and a tone or just two controls? If just two controls, it sounds like the previous owner set it up to have individual volume controls and no tone. Think of it like a Les Paul but without the tone controls. Even the three control V's are normally two volumes and a single tone control.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you working with three controls? Two volumes and a tone or just two controls? If just two controls, it sounds like the previous owner set it up to have individual volume controls and no tone. Think of it like a Les Paul but without the tone controls. Even the three control V's are normally two volumes and a single tone control.
Yeah just 2 controls. What you’re saying makes sense, as the only V I’ve had before had 2 volumes and a tone and this one only has 2 controls. I didn’t even think it could of been wired that way deliberately. I appreciate the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts