The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have an EPI Zakk Wylde LP that I swapped out the pickups on, the HZ's to the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck.

The JB sounds amazing with just the sound I was looking for. The 59 seems to be very quiet, had to turn the volume Way up on the amp just to hear it. The tone is really good so it seems to be wired correctly and working properly. It is a lower output PU but I don't think its that low.

Could this be related to the pots? The tech checked them and said they were 500's which are fine for the PU's.

Thanks
Bev

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think you have a problem with the wiring. If the cavity is shielded is something touching the side of the cavity.....check the Pu switch too....is a ground wire touching the pot or the switch.....for example you may have a braided wire that looks fine but when the cover's on, the wire's pushed down and the braid touches the contact of the pot (which acts like turning the volume off).

You may also have overheated the wiring while soldering and melted the insulation within a pickup wire......this can happen when soldering the braid to the pot cover.

In any case, no panic, no worries, there little that cannot be easily fixed and without spending much.

Andy

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

A local shop did the work for me and when i checked things out i found a loose wire on the pickup. The shop will make the corrections once I get a chance to get back downtown.
Kinda makes the deal I got on the pickups not so good anymore.

Don't think I will have them do anymore work for me..12th Fret from now on.

That JB pickup sound Amazing!!!!

Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts