The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an email from Long and Mcquade introducing the new Elixir Optiweb. I haven't had a chance to research this but just wondering if anyone has tried out this string yet.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I looked in to it more and found that the Optiweb only comes for electric. Supposed to be a super thin coating, thinner than nanoweb. Be interesting for acoustic. I don't like Elixir coating but I'd be willing to try a coating thinner than nanoweb.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but what strings do you prefer on your Martins?
Martin MSP4200 on all my dreads including the D18, HD35 and HD28V. They are cheap and have lots of bass thump although noisy for finger squeak on the wound strings. Was recently given a set of nanowebs to try. Put them on the 28V - less bass thump but less finger noise too. Three sets of the MSP4200s costs the same as one set of elixers if you buy the Martin strings a dozen sets at a time.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to derail the thread, but what strings do you prefer on your Martins?
On my D-28 Authentic 1941 I like D'addario EJ17's the best and on my D-18 Authentic 1939 I think Martin M550 sounds best. I've been doing a lot of experimenting lately though.
Right now I have a set of Martin Retro Monels on both guitars. Its got to be the fattest, warmest strings I've had on them and I really like them. Although don't think I'll stay with them as I miss the clearer high end that both guitars are capable of. I'd really have to play these monels in a Jam setting to see how they cut through though. But at home by my self they are a wonderful sounding string.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts