The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long before they just start to sound a wee bit funky ( And I don't mean in a James Brown sort of way) I am not a heavy player so I don't beat the crap out them. I had a new set put on when I bought my Taylor GS Mini on June 30th. There was something in the sound today that just started to say change me. So I will be taking a walk today up to my local L&M to get an other set, or should I try something different?

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
They get funky and I have to rip them off my guitar about 2 minutes after I put them on. Seriously coated just isn't for me. Although back when I played mainly electric and had just one Martin acoustic I would string it up with PB medium Elixer nano's and they'd last between 6 and 8 months before I took them off. And they'd still be lively even then. I didn't play my acoustic much though. Maybe about 3 or 4 hours a week. Play my acoustics about 10 to 12 hours a week now.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I recently decided to give them another try and bought a three pack of the 80/20s from L&M. They've been on my J-45 True Vintage and Yamaha LL16 ARE for about a month now and I am probably going to ditch them. At first they are too zingy, then they have some sort of a "fuzzy" sound to them that's hard to describe. I am a bit more used to them now after a month, but I'm probably just going to stick to my Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20s, which sound great on both guitars. I haven't tried a ton on the Yamaha yet, but on the J-45 the Gibson strings just sound right after trying probably a dozen different sets and types.

I haven't ever been able to keep a set of Elixirs on long enough to see them go dead.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
It depends a lot if you're talking about nano or poly. I find the poly feel like they have socks on and they begin to fray very quickly. I like the nano and although they will discolor after about a month of heavy playing, they still sound as good as when they were first put on. I change them more because they look bad than sound bad. Not cheap tho.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a set of uncoated phosphor bronze sitting around. I think I will just throw them and 'hear' want happens

Reactions: Dorian2 and jdto

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
I pretty much went to Elixir Optiwebs on all my guitars. The longest they've been on a guitar has been 6 months. It's one of the guitars I don't play more than once a week so they're still going strong. On the guitar I play every day, they've been on for 3 months. Also still sounding and feeling great.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Nano web for our signer guitarist. He has a personal record of 2 years with same strings playing up to 200 gigs a year, i shit you not. He plays a Tak into a small p.a and they sound just as good now as when they where new. I tried a set on my Tele and went about 4 months playing about 2-3 gigs a week plus practice. Keep in mind that i stretch the crap out of them, bending licks all the time.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are Optiwebs just for electrics?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I have a set of uncoated phosphor bronze sitting around. I think I will just throw them and 'hear' want happens
I remember, hopefully correctly, that you'd made a thread about the 80/20's a bit ago. I tried those out (D'adds) and wan't too keen on how they played on the A&L. Phosphor bronze on the other hand are quite nice sounding.

I wonder how much effect the build of the guitar has on them. Both guitars I tried em on were Cedar tops.

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
If you keep them clean they should last you for months and months.

P

·
0 Posts
Strings and Beyond are having a sale right now, I think 15% off, plus they have free shipping to Canada on orders over $35 USD. Plus most of the time no HST when they are sent by post.

3 sets of Elixers for the price of 2, then 15% off, buy 2 and get free shipping...
Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Acoustic Guitar Strings Bonus Pack - 3 Sets for the Price of 2!

The way I figured it, 2 x 3 packs, x 3% for money fees (PayPal, Vista etc. always add around 3%) = $72 CAD for 6 packs, = $12 CAD per pack of Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Acoustic Guitar Strings Bonus Pack - 3 Sets for the Price of 2!

Regular D'Addario acoustic strings are $5.60 CAD per pack delivered no tax. Free shipping means buying 10 packs. D'Addario EJ13 80/20 Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings Custom Light 11-52

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Elixirs seem to be able to maintain that crappy sound indefinitely. Go John Pearse or go home.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, nanoweb (on my Taylors) used to be played around 2-5 hrs a week for 3-6 months.
Polyweb sounded duller (less bright) than nanoweb to me even though they were brand new.
My problem with Elixir nanoweb is that it is only when I put new ones on that I hear how the old one had to be changed.
Other types/brands show more clearly they have to be changed : sound dull, look dull !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts