The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
These links are all other stuff, for basic electronics I suggest the ARRL handbook. I see they have a basic electronics book.

For really basic stuff there's the green Radio Shack book, Getting Started in Electronics.

I met this guy at the bar once, he's offering to fix amps these days, he was too buzy working at the time, I assume he's retired.
Home | Tone Lizard | Tales from the Tone Lounge

I was given the ARRL handbook, bought a few Electronics course books and have a signed copy of Gar Gillies' book.
The How & Why of Guitar Tube Amps - Welcome to garnetamps.com - Home of the Garnet™ Amplifier Company

Another great book is The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook.

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses, suggestions and offers to help. I obviously wasn't clear in my original post.

I posted this link mainly for others who might want to learn online and to ask if there were websites/tutorials that other GC members have found useful.

I have had many electronics texts through time and have sold or given them away after studying them and deciding that I didn't want to pursue the hobby to the extent that I first imagined. Unfortunately, I tried to source all the parts for a Champ clone and that was a PITA and discouraged me. I should have bought a kit! Admittedly, in addition, I was not comfortable with the thoughts of high voltages.

I lost confidence and desire to try to do anything (re: tube amps) after that.

For some time, I had some fun with my power supply, Oscope, function generator and frequency counter, etc and them sold all that to some fellows just getting interested in electronics.

One can now clearly see my personal weakness(es).
This was not intended to be some sort of confession, I just got typing...Oh well...LOL

I have ongoing specific questions about how to read and fully understand schematics. I know most of the electronics symbols but get lost trying to think in nodes, trying to sort out current flow and trying to understand why a circuit is designed in a specific manner...and many other aspects. This is now purely academic for me and has no real application.

I still do some soldering and make/repair simple stuff because my bench is set up and the tools are all sitting there.

Maybe someday I'll actually build something again, beyond guitar cables...LOL.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
These links are all other stuff, for basic electronics I suggest the ARRL handbook. I see they have a basic electronics book.

For really basic stuff there's the green Radio Shack book, Getting Started in Electronics.

I met this guy at the bar once, he's offering to fix amps these days, he was too buzy working at the time, I assume he's retired.
Home | Tone Lizard | Tales from the Tone Lounge

I was given the ARRL handbook, bought a few Electronics course books and have a signed copy of Gar Gillies' book.
The How & Why of Guitar Tube Amps - Welcome to garnetamps.com - Home of the Garnet™ Amplifier Company

Another great book is The Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook.
I also bought a copy of Gar's book from Gar himself. He told me I was the first customer, and I had it signed that way.

I had a publishing business then and he asked if I could make the book look more professional. I told him that I could charge him a small fortune doing all the schematics on the computer and resetting the type and improving the images in Photoshop. I also told him that it was a complete waste of time and money, and I liked it better the way it was (and the way it still is, I assume). He was plainly pleased with that comment.

That day I also dropped off a couple of amps. An organ amp with its "field-effect" speaker (operated by electricity not magnet) taken from a massive "tone cabinet". A relic from the days when Hammond refused to acknowledge the Leslie, I guess. Gar said he could make a "trick" amp out of it.

I also dropped off a huge old theatre amplifier. "Rated" 150w with the largest 6l6 tubes I have ever seen. Only two power tubes. The tubes musta been six inches high with "double bubble" tops. There was a quarter-inch thick copper rod running around the perimeter of the chassis for grounding components. I told Gar to give it to Randy Jamz (the Tone Lizard), but Gar wanted it himself. I said no, because, like you, I learned so much from Randy's website, and I wanted him to have it in appreciation. Gar reluctantly agreed. If you ever see the Tone Lizard again, ask him if he got it. Lol.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
One book I learned an awful lot of practical repair stuff and is highly recommended, Jack Darr's Electric Guitar Amplifier Handbook.
There are free downloads online, but I think most are incomplete. If possible find the print version.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts