The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed a set of pickups (single coils) and now have electronic buzz.

I've double and triple checked the ground stack on the volume pot.
Matter of fact I twisted all the grounds into one wire and then soldered that to the pot to avoid multiple heating/cooling cycles.

I've double checked the bridge ground for good contact, this is on a T.O.M. bridge, so I can actually remove the stud to verify contact: It's ok.

I've taken the pickups out and twisted the leads together to try to prevent emf interference, and still get buzz until touching the bridge.

Suggestions?

Thinking about copper shielding foil and additional grounds. But seems like overkill when I've never had to go this far to eliminate ground hum before.

I'm almost to the point of pulling the bridge stud, drilling a small hole in it below the thread skirt and soldering the ground wire directly to the stud.

Perhaps some dielectric grease to improve loose fitting contact in the threads?

P.S.
I use a butane powered soldering iron that heats to 700 DEG FEH, so no cold joints. All solder flows nice.
Using 60/40 tin solder not silver.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I'm almost to the point of pulling the bridge stud, drilling a small hole in it below the thread skirt and soldering the ground wire directly to the stud.

Perhaps some dielectric grease to improve loose fitting contact in the threads?
These grounding/buzzing issues can be a pain....as you are discovering.

You might want to test the "isolated" continuity between the bridge and the solder point of the bridge ground wire with the guitar assembled (to the extent possible to do this test). If continuity exists, WIGGLE and GENTLY pull and push SLIGHTLY on the bridge ground wire to see if the continuity is continuous.

I had a 335 with a bridge ground that did a lot of make and break from a continuity/circuit perspective.

I don't think you require the grease. The thread contact should be more than sufficient.

What is the make and model of the guitar?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts