The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey everyone here is my recently acquired El Degas Lp Custom. Bolt on neck but nice sounding Dimarzio pickups. I have some upgrades coming at it. One thing that bothers me are the low frets that make bending a pain.
[/URL][/IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a pic of it now till the upgrades arrive on Thursday.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Changing the tuners to Vintage Style Klusons, installing a decent bridge and tailpiece, adding pickup covers and putting new pots and a new switch among other small cosmetic stuff like pickup mounting rings etc.Funny, it does kinda look like a set neck from that angle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently acquired an old El Degas electric (Made in Japan) with a sticker on the neck that says 680 BL. It has Dimarzio Pickups with coil tap and is a real decent guitar to play. I took some pics but haven't figured how to upload them to the site yet. I was wondering if anyone might have an idea what model it is? The body shape is a bit like a fish body and the headstock slightly resembles a fish tail. Any suggestions how to share the pics.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts

·
Administrator
588 Posts
Since I've stumbled on this thread again... I still have all the electronics from my 70s El Degas Strat. Are the pickups worth putting in something? I don't see magnets on the bottom... are they alnico? I can take pics if needed, I found the box. Maybe I'll cut a Strat body and make an El Degas copy after I'm done with the Teles I'm working on!

·
Registered
219 Posts
$400 is a bit steep, but then again, you'll probably be lucky to see another of those 4001 copies again.

The one I own is the only one I've ever come across.

I'm not sure what they originally sold for (most of their bolt on guitars sold at around the $200 CAD mark with a case, but I have never seen a brochure or anything with info on the 4001 copy), but I sure know that I like mine - very solid.
I have one - black and white, that I bought at a garage sale many years ago. Of course it is not together, and I believe I am missing some parts. One of those projects that I just haven't gotten around to working on.

Regards

·
Registered
296 Posts
In the late 80s when I started playing guitar my friend helped me buy my first guitar. At the time all I could find as starter guitars were el degas. They were about $250 back in 88 or 89. I landed up buying a used Kramer Striker 600 for $225. I guess if i could build a time machine and take me back to 1989, I would have chosen the El degas. And while I was at it, I'd buy Apple stock.... who knew.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread fills me with nothing but regrets. My first electric was a used El Degas that was given to me for Christmas in 1991. As happy as I was to have an electric, I hated it. It was maple neck, big headstock, and natural finish. A perfect 70s Strat copy. I lusted after vintage Strats with small headstocks and nice paintjobs (I was 18). So, I did the normal thing that we to guitars in the 90s... I completely destroyed it. I drilled out the body for a humbucker. I sanded down all the finish on the fret board. I painted the headstock white. Big surprise, I never finished the project. I still have the original pickups, tuners, and trem. Don't know where the body and neck went. Wish I had never touched it.

Looked exactly like this.

Um...something like this?

o_O

·
Registered
128 Posts
one more try!

I have exactly that one.
Unknown pickups but they are nice IMHO. Refretted the neck with more substantial frets and upgraded the tuners and bridge.
I love it to death. Even before the work it sustained like a Mf#$%R.
Thick 50's neck and light on the strap. Produces harmonics like anything

Markus

Notice it's not a 1 piece body - see the stripe?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Scottomy,

I have exactly that one.
Unknown pickups but they are nice IMHO. Refretted the neck with more substantial frets and upgraded the tuners and bridge.
I love it to death. Even before the work it sustained like a Mf#$%R.
Thick 50's neck and light on the strap. Produces harmonics like anything

Markus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I already have a MIJ El Degas LP custom (3 HB), and there is an El degas strat copy for sale locally. It has a headstock similar to Ibanez (sharp rather than round like a Fender), it is HSS, and has a switch to make the humbucker a single coil. Looks to be in excellent shape.It also has a tremolo. It is most likely MIK and made of plywood. Anyone play or have anything similar? Are they decent guitars for strictly basement/bedroom playing (I play guitar as a hobby abd have been playing for about a year). I can get it for $120 CDN. I love my el-degas LP (with Stewmac Golden age pups) and hoping to get a super strat to tinker with for the winter. What do you think? Thanks!

Emmsys

201 - 220 of 241 Posts