The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time poster but long time on the site. Just picked up an el Degas Custom in black. It was neglected for some time but after a nice cleanup it is still a looker with minimal damage where it counts.

Looking for some people to shed some light on which era it may have come from.

It has a set neck. Rosewood fingerboard. No serial number. Bridge and tailpiece say Jin ah. Have not removed pickups yet. Neck looks like a three piece but body is a one piece. That back side of the body is bare wood with some belt buckle rash. Cream binding on headstock and body. The diamond inlay on headstock is a little different as you will see in the following pictures. It has a good weight and feels solid and look great.. To me anyway.

Any information much appreciated with the limited description I provided.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Looks like a great project. Plywood body by the .looks of it. Appears as if you or the PO tried sanding out some deep buckle rash. What's your plan on a repaint?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. I am impressed with how well it cleaned up even though the back side is bare. Not sure what I'll do about that and don't want to put a whole lotta cash into this. I'll get a new bridge for it. Any suggestions where to get one out there for these ? I'll clean up the body a little more and put a pick guard on it but may keep it naked without one. What do you figure.... Pick guard or keep it off? I'll see if I can find a cap for one of the tuners that is missing one on the backside. For the back side of the wood maybe just a clearcoat or stain of some kind to protect the wood. I'm not too fussy about that. I'll see how it plays after a setup and if any other work is needed to make it decent player once again.

funny story how I came across this. First I was looking for a canvas print to hang in the man cave and hang my other two guitars one on each side of it. Seeing the prices of the canvas I wanted I stumbled across this and fired why not get that and hang the acoustic in middle with the les Paul standard copy I have and this custom on the either side. If it ends up being a pos in the end it can still look pretty for me up there.

my other les paul a chibson copy in a tobacco sunburst finish with personal touches made to it to make it both worthless and priceless.

i made several requests that I wanted from:

ebony fretboard with with binding nibs over frets.
one piece mahogany body with maple cap
one piece neck with no scarf joint
all chrome hardware
my last name stamped into the back of headstock
single binding around headstock as seen on a Gibson acoustic headstock.

wanted it to be a les Paul clone but with those personal touches. It worked out well. I'm impressed with the paint job. It's deep and looks impressive. Around the burst it doesn't go to a black but a dark purple like on the back side. It changes depending on the lighting.

i took it to a local luthier for a setup and he installed a bone but nut and went through it and said I was one of the luckier ones with a quality knock off. Neck was excellent. Fret work was good for the most part and same with the inlays. Turned out to be a good player and haven't changed the pickups or anything yet.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
People, be on the lookout for this guitar. The gold ricky copy below. I gotta have it to match my ricky degas red fire glo.
Please help me!!! I emailed the poster of the thread but they're not a usually visitor tithe site these days.

Thanks.

I have 2 El Degas guitars. 1 I don't use because it needs to be wired up, it's a Rickenbacker copy. My other one is a copy of an Ibanez Studio? Not 100% sure. I love it though, Oak body, with a stripe of rosewood down the center. Here's a few pics.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is a sweet guitar. Not original paint job though. Previous owner tried to refinish it, got the paint job done and then must have given up on putting back together. It needs to be wired back up and the pickups need to be properly mounted. They are just kind of wedged in there due to the thick paint job. I haven't touched the guitar in years. I will go and see if I can dig it out of the basement.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Awesome. Pm me your telephone number and we can chat about it or whatever. I have a preferred luthier who is take it to no prob.

I'm getting kind of excited.

My email is [email protected]

If
You could take pictures of its current state that would be great.
The little brother is probably pretty happy too (see pics)

My new idea for a band is gonnabe named El Dégas
I got eldegas.ca

Now to choose the type of music. Any suggestions??

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
That would do me some good. Been a long time since I've done cover tunes. I'm thinking of what type of music the name El Dégas would hint towards. Country jam/Rock, Mexicali, lonely boys meets lynard skynard?
I personally would start with the music, then let the name follow, instead of being driven by the name.
but the name makes me think of either flamenco style or Los Lobos, whatever their music is called.

·
Administrator
588 Posts
This thread fills me with nothing but regrets. My first electric was a used El Degas that was given to me for Christmas in 1991. As happy as I was to have an electric, I hated it. It was maple neck, big headstock, and natural finish. A perfect 70s Strat copy. I lusted after vintage Strats with small headstocks and nice paintjobs (I was 18). So, I did the normal thing that we to guitars in the 90s... I completely destroyed it. I drilled out the body for a humbucker. I sanded down all the finish on the fret board. I painted the headstock white. Big surprise, I never finished the project. I still have the original pickups, tuners, and trem. Don't know where the body and neck went. Wish I had never touched it.

Looked exactly like this.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
That is a sweet guitar. Not original paint job though. Previous owner tried to refinish it, got the paint job done and then must have given up on putting back together. It needs to be wired back up and the pickups need to be properly mounted. They are just kind of wedged in there due to the thick paint job. I haven't touched the guitar in years. I will go and see if I can dig it out of the basement.

I hate to seem impatient. This guitar has been keeping me up! also the fact that I'll be playing this fall in a two guitar act and i'd love to play the two Ricky Degas guitars. I'll have to think of a good name for the goldie.

Geckodog, LMK when you've found it. perhaps we could chat about your possibly selling it to me? :sFun_dancing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got the el degas all setup and ready to play.

Replaced the original bridge with a GOTOH 103B and had to get a set of conversion posts for it fit properly. The fingerboard near the nut was separating a little on the bass side near the nut. It was fixed by being able to reglue it back. I shaved down the nut a little bit as the grooves were quite deep. All is good now. Added a 5 ply black pick guard. Took it to a local well know luthier and had it setup and looked over. Slapped on a set of Ernie Ball 10s and she sounds very nice and looks great!

Will replace the toggle switch at some time. The pickups sound good. No issues with the pots or anything. Controls were all cleaned up.

181 - 200 of 241 Posts