The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many El Caps for sale? Everyone jumping on the Belle Epoch Deluxe Bandwagon? I even had my for sale for a bit in a moment of foolishness. It's just so versatile that I know I would be looking for another in the future.

Anyone care to share what they are replacing theirs with?

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
I'll buy another one if it comes up for a decent price... resale on the Strymon stuff has been a bit steep for my taste, especially since there's so many of there now.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I've actually been contemplating getting a DL4. I guess I'm behind the times.
Ha, me too! I thought the El Cap was specifically a tape delay. I would like a versatile delay where I can dial in all the typical delays needed for a cover band (ie: intro to Welcome to the Jungle, Where the Streets..., and so on). I've been using my Zoom MS100BT for this, but was thinking the DL4 would be a nice upgrade. Should I be looking at an El Cap too, or is it something different altogether.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha, me too! I thought the El Cap was specifically a tape delay. I would like a versatile delay where I can dial in all the typical delays needed for a cover band (ie: intro to Welcome to the Jungle, Where the Streets..., and so on). I've been using my Zoom MS100BT for this, but was thinking the DL4 would be a nice upgrade. Should I be looking at an El Cap too, or is it something different altogether.
The El Cap is actually very versatile. You can definitely get a pretty decent Streets sound out of it.

I think where you may run into problems is being able to get back sounds you want quickly. It's a wysiwyg delay which is pretty cool for on the fly adjustments but if you just want to step on a switch and get a sound that you have pre-programmed you will only be able to do that once with your favorite switch. I don't know if its a feature or a bug having only one preset. It really forces you to be familiar with all of the parameters which is of some value.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I've actually been contemplating getting a DL4. I guess I'm behind the times.
I just bought a DD-20 today. The modulate mode is crazy good.
Perhaps I'm a commoner but my TC is still keeping me happy.
My primary use for delay is playing 80s U2 in my basement & have owned all 3. FWIW here's my $0.02:

1) DL4: Bought one when they first came out & still have it, although this is mostly b/c I can't bring myself to take a $200 bath on a near mint pedal (I bought it brand new & the CAD was in the toilet at that time). It has some cool tones (the backwards guitar) but takes up a lot of real estate & the fact that the dials adjust different parameters depending on the mode you select confuses/annoys me. The tap tempo doesn't always work properly - maybe this is why there are upgrade kits for these?

2) DD-20: Great modulation mode, love the BPM + note subdivsion. The only con is the size & I traded it when I was trying to fit everything onto a smaller board.

3) TC Flashback(standard BOSS-sized model): MOD mode (2290 + modulation) nails Joshua Tree tones & the strum tempo + note subdivision works very well. Haven't dabbled with Tone Prints yet but it seems like a great idea.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I've head a lot of people saying TC has taken a dump since Behringer bought them out. I can't comment as I've never own a product from either.

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
I've head a lot of people saying TC has taken a dump since Behringer bought them out. I can't comment as I've never own a product from either.
At this point, I'm filing that in the 'just another internet piling-on slag to look in-the-know' folder.

I've got TC stuff from the early 80s to a couple of years ago. I haven't bought hundreds of pieces of TC, but definitely over a dozen. My experiences, from a quality POV, have all been +ve. Any can get a bad unit, and if it is their only one, I can see how it taints their perception. But on the average, I don't think they're as bad as 'the big bad interwebz' makes them out to be.

As always, YMMV!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quality aside I am not too impressed with that cheap bargain bin line of pedals they came out with recently.

It's fine if they want to try and get that market but I want but I would rather them go for the higher end of the market as well. They need an answer to the DD-500/Timeline/Timefactor. Or a Reissue of the 2290.

·
Premium Member
16,653 Posts
The flashback X4 is their big multi delay unit. All the extra functionality is only accessible with a computer.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The flashback X4 is their big multi delay unit. All the extra functionality is only accessible with a computer.
Seems like a mid range product to me. Where is that unit going to be in ten years when operating systems change and it stops being supported. Most of the features will disappear.

·
Premium Member
11,629 Posts
Quality aside I am not too impressed with that cheap bargain bin line of pedals they came out with recently.

It's fine if they want to try and get that market but I want but I would rather them go for the higher end of the market as well. They need an answer to the DD-500/Timeline/Timefactor. Or a Reissue of the 2290.
I agree with both points.

Their new el-cheapo pedals are physically huge compared to similar Chinese el-cheapo's. And I'd like to see them move back up market with product development. They used to be considered a high end pedal builder - before all the ultra-high end builders came along. But I guess they know their market.

All that aside, I don't have a problem with the quality of their current offerings, considering the segment of the market they occupy.

·
Premium Member
16,653 Posts
Seems like a mid range product to me. Where is that unit going to be in ten years when operating systems change and it stops being supported. Most of the features will disappear.
I think TC would update it, just like the other companies. They can afford to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts