The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
Anybody know the depth 1st and 12th fret as well as the width at the 12th fret on the EJ strats? I love the ash maple combo but I’ve never played the v before, and I’m not going out to someone’s house to try one out right now with all that’s going on in the world....
I’m used to a slim C and jumbo frets.
Thanks in advance!
J.

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
Don't know the specs, but I have a fairly pronounced V on the neck of my Kalamazoo. I love it. The V sits comfortably in that skin-web between your thumb and index, relieving some of the muscle tension. You can barre chord until the cows come home.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for that. The only v I’ve tried is the new fender original 50s. And while I only tried it for a minute, it felt much too big for me. I’m sure there are thinner Vs out there; hopefully someone will have numbers for the EJ. I wonder how the AVRI 57s would feel too. I’d love to see the measurements on that neck as well. I was surprised how hard it is to find theses specs online... I almost grabbed an AVRI 62 strat, because I know I dig that neck, but really, I’d like ash and maple. Anyhow, looking forward to hearing any other advice or specs from all of you.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I have a Fender licenced Chandler neck vintage 56 V . I bought it in 1992 custom order . I have been using it for 28 years . At fist it felt large , I don`t have large hands , but I got on to it within days . I agree with mhammer about how it fits ones hand down by the nut , it`s very comfortable . Going up the neck it tends to keep my thumb centered as we were told to do in the early days . and so it helps to promote good habits . The numbers are in imperial , at the nut it`s , 1 5/8 "W , 13/16" Thick . At the 12 fret it`s . 1-15/16" W , and 15/16" Thick .

I was curios so I checked my 86 E Ser. Jap. Strat. with a C neck . The numbers are in imperial , at the nut it`s ,1 5/8" W , 3/4 "Thick . At the 12 fret it`s . 2" W , and 13/16" Thick .

Hope this helps jblue

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much, that is really helpful. Your mij Strat as a super thin neck eh? Very interesting for me to see the numbers on your 56 v. When all this virus stuff is done I’ll have to get out and try a bunch of Vs. I would imagine the 57s are slimmer than the 56. But beyond the numbers I guess I’ll need to explore the different feel of the v.
Thanks again,
J.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Your mij Strat as a super thin neck eh?
Yes , that is what I noticed when I bought it , but I like the tones and it`s more quiet for recording than my Am. 71 Strat. that has the 56V . For that reason the mij Strat is mint , no marks on it and the frets or like new . A really good back up guitar . The 71 with V 56 is my main guitar along with a Tele with a chunky C shape . I will have to check the Tele now to see how it compares to the other 2 .

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had one come through the shop, (reading my work order notes now), and it's a very vintage style of neck feel, but with a 12" radius fingerboard. Old meets new. The edges are rolled off, and it had medium-jumbo frets. This is definitely a "try before you buy" guitar if you're used to a C shape. Personally, I loved it, and the level of workmanship (soldering, neck pocket, nut cutting) was top-notch. The neck position sound was ungodly...very "microphonic" pickups, but no crazy 60 cycle hum issues. Factory setup has the tremolo set flush, but not blocked. The customer wanted it floating, so we went with 4/64ths, and you could immediately hear that "spring" sound coming through, which is one of the distinctions between a Tele and a Strat. I'd send gut shots, but I don't know how to post pictures here. Will @la grange guitar workshop (FB)

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
I have a soft V on a Jimmie Vaughan strat. It was the deal maker for me when I bought. Last year I tried an EJ strat (semi) To me it felt almost the same, maybe just wee bit beefier. Sorry I don't have the specs. The soft V fits my hand very nicely.

Reactions: Jblue

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
What size V neck is the paisley sig?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
The paisley tele V is large, probably at least a 0.90” at the first fret and to me a definitely a hard V shape. Super cool neck. The smallest V shape to me where on those somewhat rare 2010-14(maybe) fender deluxe series that specified a V shape neck.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I bought an EJ Strat last fall, I find the neck very comfortable to play. Definitely not what I would call a pronounced V shape, maybe like one that has been well played. I measured the neck at the first and twelfth fret as the OP requested. My example is (in inches) 0.934 front to back at the first fret and 1.021 at the twelfth. Width comes in at 1.685 at the nut and 2.050 at the twelfth fret.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for that. I would think given the shape of the v, a bigger depth on paper might not feel as much bigger as the numbers suggest taken at face value, which is probably a good thing tone and feel wise— more wood mass for tone and the carve for the feel. On paper there’s just such a big difference though. I think my musicman stingray I, a pretty ideal slim c for me, is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 0.82-0.88”. How have I gone all these years and never played a V other than the Original 50s I tried for two seconds recently????

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
The neck profile on an EJ is definitely 'soft' V IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts