The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interessing.

What is the difference between mixing signals in serie or in parallel?
Parallel permits a great many creative opportunities, depending on how it is set up.

I made a modular system for myself, and included two splitter/mixer modules that allow for a mono signal to go along two parallel paths, and then be mixed back into mono. So, imagine your guitar goes in two simultaneous directions: to a distortion and phaser and to an octave divider and then envelope filter, with the balance between those two paths adjusted. Sounds very different than feeding the same effects into each other in series.

Parallel processing opens up tons of possibilities.

·
Registered
567 Posts
What about the good ol' Boss SL-2. It has a more functionality and may be smaller. I got one used for $35 at L&M and I love using it. It's good for pedals you only want a little of mixed in with your regular signal path (i.e. my WMD Geiger Counter). It also allows you to easily bypass your whole board and just play straight into the amp for when you want some pure moments.

Reactions: Ti-Ron

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
What about the good ol' Boss SL-2. It has a more functionality and may be smaller. I got one used for $35 at L&M and I love using it. It's good for pedals you only want a little of mixed in with your regular signal path (i.e. my WMD Geiger Counter). It also allows you to easily bypass your whole board and just play straight into the amp for when you want some pure moments.
If I can find one for 35$ I would totally use one. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Whoops. Yup. Memory aint what it used to be.

·
Premium Member
11,635 Posts
For simple loop switchers, there's also this.

upload_2017-8-9_8-2-56.jpeg

Built like the proverbial brick sh!thouse. Just series operation and no reordering, but good basic features to clean up noise and interference. You can get one with LED's if that's your thing. Under $100 new and built in good ol' Canuckistan.

I like the concept of the Boss ES-5, with the ability to loop analog gain pedals and provide time/space effects internally (basically what I'm doing with my B board, 3 analog pedals and the L6 M9, but no loop options). But the Boss is pricey - and kinda big (an issue I'm always struggling with - how to get the most noises in the smallest footprint).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you guys ever used the Radial with Boss pedals? I always thought true bypass was true bypass but I swear I hear the Boss pedals bleeding through somehow...

If I have a CE-2 in the Radial Loop 1 and turn it on and off while the Radial is in bypass I can hear it effect my tone. I tried this with a GE-7 EQ the other day with a mega bass cut to 100/200/400 and guess what? Less bass even though the GE-7 was sitting behind a non-engaged true bypass switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts