The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an Egnater Tol 50 head and was playing around with it and noticed the 50watt setting sounds the same volume as the 10watt setting. Anyone know why this might be?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
You will probably only notice the difference if you are playing clean and can really open it up. Rather than listening to the volume level, listen for where a clean sound starts to distort.
A 50watt amp is only a little bit louder than a 10watt, so the difference will be subtle. To your ear, a 100W will only sound twice as loud as 10W if all else (speakers etc.) remains equal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will probably only notice the difference if you are playing clean and can really open it up. Rather than listening to the volume level, listen for where a clean sound starts to distort.
A 50watt amp is only a little bit louder than a 10watt, so the difference will be subtle. To your ear, a 100W will only sound twice as loud as 10W if all else (speakers etc.) remains equal.
Thanks! Wasn’t sure if something wasn’t working right but sounds like it is. I’m still playing at bedroom levels so didn’t notice much at all. Maybe tomorrow I can crank things up and see.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
You should notice a subtle difference - especially if you were working it at 10 watts. Then the difference is much more apparent.

Realistically, 50w should be a bit over 6dB louder than 10w. That's the same difference as standing twice as close to your amp (say from 12 feet to 6). Not a massive difference, really. But the extra headroom, if you're working it at all, should be apparent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts