Do you use effects pedals

• Yes

Votes: 236 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 13.9%

Effects or straight up

19K views 133 replies 101 participants last post by  Samsquantch 
#1 ·
The market is flooded with pedals. Do you use them or go straight into a head or combo and let er go.

#52 ·
Milkman said:
Well, I'm gigging tonight and tomorrow night with a conventional amp (as opposed to a modeller / processor).

This will mark the first time I've used a normal amp and a couple of pedals for a gig in more than a year.

It will be:

Guitar - Wireless - Crybaby - Traynor YCV40 and I'll have a Visual Sound H20 Chorus / delay in the effects loop.

Of course the amp will be mic'd and I'll have some foldback in the monitors if I need it.

My distortion will be via the amp. If that's not enough, I may look at a pedal for the next gig.

We'll see, but as you tell from the set up I've described, I'm using only wah, OD, Dist, Chorus and delay.

That's all I seem to use.

The rest (good or bad) is in my hands.
:wave:

Def. let me know how the H2O works in the traynor E. loop. i have only tried that pedal straight into an amp thus far.

#54 ·
too many pedals

Once I discovered Ebay, I started buying pedals non-stop. I have way too many and find myself only using Strat > Modded Boss BD2 > Fulltone FD2 and EHX Deluxe Memory Man > Traynor YCV20WR.

Everytime I decide to sell a pedal I plug it in first to test it and then realize that I like it. So I keep it. I think it's some kind of addiction. But I love it!!:DevilGuitar:

#56 ·
I run a fulldrive 2, ocd, fat boost and a klon. I used my Fulldrive and OCD a lot and when I need the boost I'll hit the klon to make my axe sing:smile:

#57 ·
Stacking up OD's and fuzzes can make for some pretty cool tones. I my favourite clean Strat tone is a Fuzzface type pedal, with the guitar vol backed way off. Try it,,,you'll love it.

CT.

PS the best fuzzface clone in the world is made right here in Canada,,,look here.....http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/

#59 · (Edited)
sh333 said:
:wave:

Def. let me know how the H2O works in the traynor E. loop. i have only tried that pedal straight into an amp thus far.

I've used modulation and delay type effects in effects loops for a long time now.

The H2O works perfectly in the Traynor loop. I also put my Planet Waves tuner in the loop.
No issues at all.

My signal is as follows:

AKG Guitarbug wireless - BYOC Clyde McCoy Wah clone- Kelley compressor - Catlinbread SCOD (overdrive) - Amp (Traynor YCV40 + 1 X 12 ext cab)

In the loop:

Planet Waves Chromatic tuner - Visual Sound H2O (chorus, delay).

I use one channel on the amp for cleans and one for mild overdrive. The Catlinbread takes care of medium to high gain tones.

#61 ·
I plug straight in but...

I run my rackmount head through a digital mixer and I can put some sauce on from there. Generally I don't use effects on my dirty sound, but I do like to use a bit of chorus on my clean sound. I find that too much processing just washes out the sound I like.

I have a Big Muff and a Cry Baby, but neither of them are usually connected.

#63 ·
I'd have to vote yes or it would be a lie for me because yes at times I use effects because they add to the tone I'm getting from my amp. However I truely enjoy plugging straight in to my amps and I do that far more often then using effects in the line.
I would have to say that I never "need" a boost whether it be clean or for dirt... they do have certain good qualities but I never find I "need" them.
The best investment I have made in the last10 years besides guitars andamps is Monster Cables Studio Pro 1000 cables. I thought I had tone before but now I HAVE TONE... through you boost away and get these cables.

Craig

#64 ·
If I'm playing to humour myself or a couple of friends who are standing around having a cocktail or two, it's straight into a Matchless Spitfire 2X10. Between a couple of hands and a couple of pickups and a couple of knobs, it's pretty easy to tell if I've got something worthwhile to say with the guitar or not.

If not, I'll turn off the amp and plug into a Boss BR1600, fire up the monitors and automatically gain some confidence with a wealth of effects to put me at ease.

They've both got their time and place - and almost equally fulfilling in my books, but my first choice would be to plug straight in and make it happen.

Suppose it could be age catching up to me, or spending more time finding an amp that's the right fit for me, rather than buying what I could afford but not giving it much thought.

One thing is for sure now though - tomorrow afternoon I'm plugging in the REXX RG45 amp I bought new in '89 or '90, hooking up whatever old pedals I can find and reliving my youth, the way it sounded when I was learning how to play.

#66 ·
I have a Keeley Compressor with me all the time pedalboard or not. Straight to amp is great. But, having pedals is fun too. Each different set up creates it's own set of limitations/options which are fun to work with.

#68 ·
Planet Waves tuner, Marshall Guv'nor, Marshall compressor, Boss super chorus, Danelectro Spring King (kinda funky reverb pedal), Radial a/b/y box, Boss eq, Boss loop station, George Dennis volume/wah,

Shopping list has the Duncan tube preamp/overdrive, Boss DD-6, Boss AC-2 acoustic simulator...

Peace, Mooh.

#70 ·
Sometimes when I'm just practicing I'll just plug straight into the amp. But I do like to use my pedalboard and when I'm playing with my band I always use it. Some songs we play just don't sound right straight. My board has 8 pedals on it which so I only consider myself a moderate pedal whore. lol

#71 ·
I can't imagine not having my fx boxes in front of me when I am playing, although I am right now completely effectsless (sold off everything last year, and I am in the process of "rebuilding" it all).

I think my biggest problem is that I am an unabashed gear whore, and just love the look of all of them knobs lights and switches laid out on the floor before me :D

#72 ·
I had to vote no....since i only have 1 peddle...
weeping demon wah...by Ibanez....
but for the last few month's its been straight into the mesa boogie...lonestar special....and I am liking the clean sounds....with my strat...

I was hoping to try a few more effects....in the future....but its been a work in progress getting a pile of different tones out of my boogie....and I keep finding more...

so I vote a thin no.....cause it can go either way or both...

Auger

#76 ·
The tone I get plugged straight into my Soldano is like MSG to my ears and I haven't been able to bring myself to pollute that signal path in even the slightest way. I use mine for recording and any effects I occasionally use on guitar are placed downstream in post. The only thing I might be willing to place upstream in front of my head would be a wah, but I don't own one yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.