The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Do you use effects pedals

  • Yes

    Votes: 236 86.1%
  • No

    Votes: 38 13.9%
41 - 60 of 134 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
11,552 Posts
Over Labour Day I saw about nine different bands. I was amazed at how many of the guitarists either plugged direct to amp or use very limited effects.

The Caverners (Beatles tribute) use Tonelab SE's. Otherwise, there was a total of three wahs and one Blues Driver - that's it! No big pedalboards in sight and there was some pretty good tone happening too. Best tone was a Big Apple Strat into a Mesa Nomad (believe it or not), followed by an LP into a Soldano halfstack.

Inspired, I left my board at home and only took a tuner and my BB preamp to practice last night, 82' Tokai LP Custom into a Mesa DC-5. It was great. I didn't tap-dance all night and could focus on my playing and had a great time.

Not saying I'm about to liquidate my pedals, but I think it's good to take a break from them now and then.


________
Chris
 

· Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
allthumbs56 said:
Over Labour Day I saw about nine different bands. I was amazed at how many of the guitarists either plugged direct to amp or use very limited effects.

The Caverners (Beatles tribute) use Tonelab SE's. Otherwise, there was a total of three wahs and one Blues Driver - that's it! No big pedalboards in sight and there was some pretty good tone happening too. Best tone was a Big Apple Strat into a Mesa Nomad (believe it or not), followed by an LP into a Soldano halfstack.

Inspired, I left my board at home and only took a tuner and my BB preamp to practice last night, 82' Tokai LP Custom into a Mesa DC-5. It was great. I didn't tap-dance all night and could focus on my playing and had a great time.

Not saying I'm about to liquidate my pedals, but I think it's good to take a break from them now and then.


________
Chris
The Caverners are excellent! I took the kids to see them a couple Canada days ago.

Hi Chris :wave:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
"The only boost between my guitar and my amp is me"(Angus Young).I wish I could say the same but, Unless I can figure out his exact set up and all the custom work that must go into his gear,I will be useing some kind of tone and boost altering affects.I personally like the simple effects,Boss distortion pedal,Flange,Chorus and of course the Big Muff.I have played around with several rack mount unit's and various other gizzmo's but always go back to the good old, straight up distortion or crunch pedals.I also have a Blues driver and a cry baby that sometimes see the light of day.
Aaron
 

· Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
allthumbs56 said:
Hey Scott!

Guess the "DC-5 and BB preamp" gave me away :redface: Still lovin them both! You got that renovation done yet?


______
Chris

Indeed :food-smiley-004:

Reno is about 3 weeks away from completion. It is all just fussy finish work now.

Need to figure out how to pay for it now. Need any gear? :) i will be pushing alot of stuff out the door over the next two months to stay afloat.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11,552 Posts
sh333 said:
Indeed :food-smiley-004:

Reno is about 3 weeks away from completion. It is all just fussy finish work now.

I'll bet it looks awesome!

Need to figure out how to pay for it now. Need any gear? :) i will be pushing alot of stuff out the door over the next two months to stay afloat.
I don't "need" any gear ... but I've always been a little fuzzy on the difference between "need" and "want" :tongue:

Right now I've got a big "want" on for an Eternity.

Seriously though, my oldest boy is getting married in November and I need to help fund that adventure so I'm trying to be good (so send me an e-mail if you've got anything to tempt me with...shhhhhhh).

Cheers

_________
Chris
 

· Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
allthumbs56 said:
I don't "need" any gear ... but I've always been a little fuzzy on the difference between "need" and "want" :tongue:

Right now I've got a big "want" on for an Eternity.

Seriously though, my oldest boy is getting married in November and I need to help fund that adventure so I'm trying to be good (so send me an e-mail if you've got anything to tempt me with...shhhhhhh).

Cheers

_________
Chris
The next shipment of Eternity's is all spoken for already, but I will be putting in another order ASAP. Just say the word and i will keep one back for you. They are not cheap, but man they are nice.

If I decide to blow some stuff out, I will drop you an email.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,659 Posts
...back in the day i scoffed at pedals. plugged my sg straight into an ampeg half stack. tone for days. but loud. we cranked the monitors and screamed our vocals over the din of guitars and drums.

then, i started working with older and more polished players (and, singers), and playing and rehearsing at more sensible volume levels. and that, boys and girls, is how i became acquainted with processing, starting with the creations of mr tom scholz.

-dh
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
23,016 Posts
Well, I'm gigging tonight and tomorrow night with a conventional amp (as opposed to a modeller / processor).


This will mark the first time I've used a normal amp and a couple of pedals for a gig in more than a year.

It will be:

Guitar - Wireless - Crybaby - Traynor YCV40 and I'll have a Visual Sound H20 Chorus / delay in the effects loop.

Of course the amp will be mic'd and I'll have some foldback in the monitors if I need it.

My distortion will be via the amp. If that's not enough, I may look at a pedal for the next gig.


We'll see, but as you tell from the set up I've described, I'm using only wah, OD, Dist, Chorus and delay.


That's all I seem to use.

The rest (good or bad) is in my hands.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Milkman said:
Well, I'm gigging tonight and tomorrow night with a conventional amp (as opposed to a modeller / processor).


This will mark the first time I've used a normal amp and a couple of pedals for a gig in more than a year.

It will be:

Guitar - Wireless - Crybaby - Traynor YCV40 and I'll have a Visual Sound H20 Chorus / delay in the effects loop.

Of course the amp will be mic'd and I'll have some foldback in the monitors if I need it.

My distortion will be via the amp. If that's not enough, I may look at a pedal for the next gig.


We'll see, but as you tell from the set up I've described, I'm using only wah, OD, Dist, Chorus and delay.


That's all I seem to use.

The rest (good or bad) is in my hands.
:wave:

Def. let me know how the H2O works in the traynor E. loop. i have only tried that pedal straight into an amp thus far.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,722 Posts
too many pedals

Once I discovered Ebay, I started buying pedals non-stop. I have way too many and find myself only using Strat > Modded Boss BD2 > Fulltone FD2 and EHX Deluxe Memory Man > Traynor YCV20WR.

Everytime I decide to sell a pedal I plug it in first to test it and then realize that I like it. So I keep it. I think it's some kind of addiction. But I love it!!:DevilGuitar:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Pedals to me are like crack. I'm always looking a new pedal to see what it can do to my sound. Sometimes good and sometimes really bad. Just like drugs.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
I run a fulldrive 2, ocd, fat boost and a klon. I used my Fulldrive and OCD a lot and when I need the boost I'll hit the klon to make my axe sing:smile:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Stacking up OD's and fuzzes can make for some pretty cool tones. I my favourite clean Strat tone is a Fuzzface type pedal, with the guitar vol backed way off. Try it,,,you'll love it.

CT.

PS the best fuzzface clone in the world is made right here in Canada,,,look here.....http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
23,016 Posts
sh333 said:
:wave:

Def. let me know how the H2O works in the traynor E. loop. i have only tried that pedal straight into an amp thus far.

I've used modulation and delay type effects in effects loops for a long time now.

The H2O works perfectly in the Traynor loop. I also put my Planet Waves tuner in the loop.
No issues at all.


My signal is as follows:

AKG Guitarbug wireless - BYOC Clyde McCoy Wah clone- Kelley compressor - Catlinbread SCOD (overdrive) - Amp (Traynor YCV40 + 1 X 12 ext cab)

In the loop:

Planet Waves Chromatic tuner - Visual Sound H2O (chorus, delay).

I use one channel on the amp for cleans and one for mild overdrive. The Catlinbread takes care of medium to high gain tones.
 
41 - 60 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top