The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering getting a pedal switcher for awhile and while doing some research I'm left with some unanswered questions. The issue I'm trying to resolve is I have a few pedals in the amps effects loop that I would like to control in conjunction with my pedals in front of the amp (ie. turning on overdrive and delay with 1 click). Is there a switcher in the $500 range that's capable of doing this?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You are looking to use something I think they call 4CM, 4 cable method.

Think of it this way, your amplifier [from input to effects send] is another pedal to switch in and out.

Your guitar goes to the pedal switcher, through a few loops, then using another loop to your preamp, back to the pedal switcher, more loops and the output to the effects return of the amp.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess where I'm losing a loop I could combine my volume pedal and delay and get away with 8 loops.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been looking at the Carl Martin Octaswitch or maybe a Gigrig Quatermaster, leaning towards the Octaswitch though.....simple and looks to be more functional?

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I really like thegigrig stuff having owned a Midi Pro 8, QMX 8 and currently own a QMX 6 - quiet, internal buffer that "pushes" the signal that works very well and sounds great. It adds a slight amount of compression and tightens up the sound and for me, makes everything sound better.

I haven't tried the Carl Martin unit. Btw, the QMX is super easy to use and the new flip/flop option is a nice feature.

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
If the pedals use electronic switching, you could always do this. The advantage is that none of the required cables is carrying audio, and only one thin-gauge cable is needed for switching.:

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
If the pedals use electronic switching, you could always do this. The advantage is that none of the required cables is carrying audio, and only one thin-gauge cable is needed for switching.:

This is far from the simple solution a looper provides with its plug and play ease.

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
Yes and no. Combining pedals in an amp's loop with those in front of the amp can be tricky and cumbersome. If the amp includes remote loop-switching, it's less of a problem, but my experience is that most amps with an FX loop really only provide a pair of normalized jacks, a buffer, and maybe an attenuator pad on the receive, without any capacity to remotely engage or bypass the loop.

What I describe in the video does not require running any sort of audio cables to and from whatever is in the amp FX loop. Assuming the FX are amenable to remote switching, one simply leaves them where they are (presumably seated atop the head, with short connector cables for send and return), and runs any old 2-conductor cable from the effect out to a momentary switch, stage-front.

I made a remote switching unit a few weeks ago that I hope to put up a Youtube of in a week or two, demonstrating the principle. I took an old Marshall SS amp footswitch enclosure, and drilled some extra holes for two additional momentary switches, and the mini phonejacks in the back. It lets me select individual pedals, but the positioning of the switches also lets me hit several switches at once if I want. You'll see in a few weeks.

Again, I'm not saying it is better, and in some instances it won't even work. But for some contexts it can provide tremendous convenience, and avoid the nuisance of having multiple shielded cables running everywhere. What it won't do, that considerably more expensive pedal-switcher systems can do, is save presets, and reverse order. All it can do is turn individual pedals on and off. But for some folks and some applications, having all the on-off switching in one central convenient spot is really all they want or need.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
I think the biggest thing is having to modify the pedal, who wants to pull something apart, figure it out and solder stuff instead of just putting it in the existing loop. If this was a viable solution it would have caught on long ago.

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
That it wasn't implemented years ago is no demonstration of anything. Some pedals actually DO have remote switching built in. For example, this one (which I know because I have one) besides, there are some things implemented decades back that deserved changing but were never implemented because of the sheer dead weight of historical precedent. Consider the tone cap values on Gibson's dual volt/tone guitars Using the same tone-cap value for neck AND bridge makes no sense whatsoever, but they stuck with it all these years.

If it is unfeasible, that's one thing. But if it is feasible, and the manufacturer hems and haws because they don't want to have to change the way they do things, that's quite another.

I modified about a half-dozen pedals of my own to adapt to this switching approach. Nuthin' to it. Cheap and painless. I may offer it as a mod-service once I retire. Actually, I may start offering a bunch of mods once I retire. (Although I don't want to be too busy and I don't want to have to mail anything.)

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Actually, I may start offering a bunch of mods once I retire. (Although I don't want to be too busy and I don't want to have to mail anything.)
You will be busy...absolutely no doubt about that.
Will you be considering FEDEX, UPS, etc rather than Canada Post?

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
Nah, I'll just do stuff for local clients. Once you factor shipping into things, it starts to get pricey, and people start to wonder if it's worth it. I'd rather be a bit of a "pedal evangelist", charge a modest hourly rate, and get cheap mods out to as many folks as possible. Of course, if I get an e-mail from Guthrie Govan or Joe Satriani or the guys from That Pedal Show, that says "Hey I was wondering if...", I might make the odd exception. ;)

Besides, *I* have a pension. There's plenty of other folks who will rely on such jobs as their primary revenue stream. I have no interest in stealing work from them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm kinda in love with the idea of the Boss ES-8, although it's too expensive as a toy and I just wont put transistors in my signal path that I can't switch out. And not that I would ever need one.

If you could find a used one!

Two four loop pedals would likely be less expensive and as easy to setup.

Carl Martin has a 10 loop version.

I'm liking the function of those Joyo ones. Stuff from that company is usually a copy of something else.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm kinda in love with the idea of the Boss ES-8, although it's too expensive as a toy and I just wont put transistors in my signal path that I can't switch out. And not that I would ever need one.

If you could find a used one!

Two four loop pedals would likely be less expensive and as easy to setup.

Carl Martin has a 10 loop version.

I'm liking the function of those Joyo ones. Stuff from that company is usually a copy of something else.
I've been watching some videos of the Joyo PLX Pro, probably the one I'll go with? There doesn't seem to be any other switchers with all those features unless I spent $1000+

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
There's that Loopmaster company and I think there's a similar Canadian company.

I like simple, just do one thing well. You can usually figure everything else out.

But I also like solutions, I love that ES-8.

I like cheap. I've never bought Joyo.

Tough decision. There's a Voodoo Lab Switcher for $199 in Halifax, but it's only 4 channels. There was a Hex switcher for about the same somewhere else.

You need to imagine yourself using it, or check Kijiji!

There's an Octaswitch, but you would have talk the guy down from $500.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts