The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a big Van Halen fan--but I did find this interesting.
He's got a site for A Fender Custom shop limited edition Frankenstien--only $25,000--with accessories.

Frankenstein

A bit pricey--I'd say.

Maybe that could be a future giveaway here?:smile:

Just thought I'd share it, just in case there's some Eddie fans here (On a guitar board? Never!:smile:)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Interesting to note that three of Fender's more recent very expensive tribute guitars have been copies of cheap partscasters. Frankenstein originally cost about $200, SRV's Lenny was bought for $300 and I highly doubt that Blackie cost Clapton $25,000 to build.

I do like the idea of Fender donating one of these guitars to GuitarsCanada for a future giveaway. :rockon2:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You can find other replicas for much less and about the same quality. There's been a few listed on Kijiji in Ottawa in the last few months.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Definitly not a fan of those replics! I prefer to broke them buy myself... I can't figure how someone can pay that price for a single guitar! Maybe 'cause I'm not a fan of EVH, probably different if it was a Divid Gilmoure's one! ;)

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
You can find other replicas for much less and about the same quality. There's been a few listed on Kijiji in Ottawa in the last few months.
The buyers market is extremely hot these days. I also drool/ chase hammonds. There have been more B3's on the open market in 3 weeks than I have seen for a long while

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
There is one at guitarworks here in calgary. The guy at the shop showed it to me, but I did not play it. It is really weird because it actually felt to me like a cheap guitar made out of plasic and the tremolo arm is so wobbly that you would think it was going to fall off. All that for $25K!

·
Registered
133 Posts
it's truly criminal if not slightly insane for a compnay to charge that for a guitar and for people to be willing to pay it

'loving what someone does' so much wouldn't motivate me to spend like that even if i had it

effin crazy

buying/getting gear like yer heroes doesn't mean you get there mojo...
find your own

the "greats" are great becaue they took a bit from their heros and put their own spin on things

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
Are there people out there who would buy these? I don't have to quote P.T.Barnum here, do I?

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Seems a bit ironic to me that people would pay high end boutique prices for a copy of a guitar that was poorly banged together from cheap parts.

All because a very special player, who would (obviously) have sounded spectacular regardless of WHAT piece of crap he was playing.

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are there people out there who would buy these? I don't have to quote P.T.Barnum here, do I?
I was thinking that too, but I'm sure the people selling these are hoping people will plunk down the big money for it--and they have thrown in extras such as picks, a heavy duty Anvil case, certificate, picture of Eddie, etc.

That's why I was saying what I did about winning one---then it's free.
But I don't know if I'd like it. If I was going to spend tens of thousands on a guitar--it would be on a Les Paul Standard Sunburst from the late 50's.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is one at guitarworks here in calgary. The guy at the shop showed it to me, but I did not play it. It is really weird because it actually felt to me like a cheap guitar made out of plasic and the tremolo arm is so wobbly that you would think it was going to fall off. All that for $25K!
Which guitarworks? I listen to one a few weeks ago and it's sounded just like EVH original. But I guess it should for 25K.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Wow, I don't know how that Fender replica could be less appealing...

Perhaps it's for a big EVH fan with fresh lottery winnings, but I wouldn't want one for $250 let alone 100x times that.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Seems a bit ironic to me that people would pay high end boutique prices for a copy of a guitar that was poorly banged together from cheap parts.

All because a very special player, who would (obviously) have sounded spectacular regardless of WHAT piece of crap he was playing.
Yeah.

Reminds me of a story I read about John Lee Hooker. Something about him sounding the same no matter what guitar he played and what amp he plugged them in when he was trying out guitars and amps at a music store.

When you've got it, you've got it...regardless of what you play.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yeah.

Reminds me of a story I read about John Lee Hooker. Something about him sounding the same no matter what guitar he played and what amp he plugged them in when he was trying out guitars and amps at a music store.

When you've got it, you've got it...regardless of what you play.
Heard a similar story years ago. Ted Nugent hanging out at a Van Halen soundcheck. He loved the tone that Eddie was getting so much that he asked to try Eddie's rig. Nugent picked up Eddie's guitar and started to play, he sounded just like.....drumroll please...Ted Nugent. Even through EVH's famous setup, he still sounded like himself.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Which guitarworks? I listen to one a few weeks ago and it's sounded just like EVH original. But I guess it should for 25K.
Guitarworks on 16th ave north. The guy in the store told me that they already sold one. Apparently in many stores these types of guitars go out as soon as they come in. There is always somebody with loads of cash ready to spend on something like this beause there are so few of them I guess. Will they even play it?

Ironic isnt it....they may keep it as a museum piece because it is rare and so expensive, but they look so used and broken down nobody would believe it LOL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts