The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've seen his website a couple of times. He mights perhaps make good guitars, I really don't know, but his overall attitude and what seems to be an inordinate amount of arrogance are quite ridiculous.

He comes across as having a narcissistic personality disorder...Most luthiers seem to pour all of their heart and a whole lot of love into their art, this guy just seems bitter and full of hate.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
"The idea of beginners or people with phisical disabilities or lawyer/doctor/collector/non-players buying Zachs just bugs me. First, build up your ability on a crap guitar....then maybe you will really get the most out of a Zach."

I dare somebody with a disability to sue him...I am sure you could on the grounds of discrimination. I would sue him for all he's got...what a loser.

the guy cannot even spell right.

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
Whatever.
I mean--he makes the guitars and he can decide for himslef how he wants to sell them and how he comes across, but his approach puts me off--which he'd probably think is fine.
I mean I'm probably one of those hack guitarists he's referring to.:smile:

But if that's how he wants to do things--well--that's his business.

(As for the string stuff on the site--Clasical strings are sold by tension, not gauge--so his bit on that is hardly new. I didn't see any mention of classical strings on his site, btu they were there first. As for not putting 9's on a Gibson (or equivalent scale or shorter), I've been doing that for years with no problems--I like it, but I guess I'm an idiot.

(And when I read this about what the nut is made from-"I can't divulge the actual material" I had an image of Charlton Heston screaming--Some of you will get that reference.)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Kind of irrelevant if he makes good guitars, both his website and his attitude suck -- not a guy I would want to deal with ....

·
Registered
133 Posts
i've read his site with interest before

he has/sells what he calls 'tension correct strings'

his idea that most mass market string makers aren't making strings that are correctly tense from string to string

if you read into this theory
his thoughts kind of make sense,
of course he sells the RIGHT type of strings

·
Registered
596 Posts
Has anyone one come across a luthier / guitar maker who's not exactly mainstream? I looked at this guy's site:

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/

This was the,.... different part:

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/NotForYou.htm
Bill Nash comes to mind, have you read the fine print on his front page?

In fact, I am in no way affiliated with anyone or anything except for my wife and kids. If you are actually reading this much stuff on my site, please stop, turn off the computer and find something more fun to do with your time. A portion of the proceeds from your purchase may go to support the complete dismantling of the US Government. I have had enough taxation without representation - how about you? Are you better off than you were 10 years ago?

Since you are still reading on, turn in your cable TV box, unplug your television and seek healthy connections with other human beings. Stop ingesting the manipulations of corporations who's sole function is to make you feel inadequate without buying their products and ideas. A bigger wallet, faster car, smaller waistband or younger spouse will not make you happy.
Luthiers are artists after all, and as a whole artists tend to have more quirks than mainstream businesspeople. I agree that Zachary comes off as a jackass, very likely is one, but the point he's trying to make (poorly) is that he really cares about his craft and he wants his guitars to actually get played, not just collected, traded and looked at by rich people.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm just a little confused about the tone of the writing.

Warning your customer that they may just be suffering a case of G.A.S. sounds like a good thing... outright calling your potential client a "materialistic hack" is a bit... ehhhhhh not so good... Warning customers on one page not to be impulsive and then adding a link on your homepage titled "What are you waiting for??? Do it!!!" also leaves me wondering.

Not every player is the same. IMHO saying something like " You have to either be a competent player or you have to be knowledgeable about guitars to appreciate a Zachary Guitar. If you posses both of these qualities, you will love my guitars. " is just arrogant... one size doesn't fit all (and c'mon do I need both or either?!) . I think it's great to say "if you happen to like what I like in a guitar and agree with my design concepts and philosophy, then my guitar is for you", but nothing is gained by then anonymously taking potshots at your website's visitors every 3rd paragraph.

That said, if I had another gig that payed all the bills, I'd just be building whatever the hell I wanted too! No one would ever have said " hey Picasso, do the 'starry night' again, that one rocks!"

·
Registered
526 Posts
i've read his site with interest before

he has/sells what he calls 'tension correct strings'

his idea that most mass market string makers aren't making strings that are correctly tense from string to string

if you read into this theory
his thoughts kind of make sense,
of course he sells the RIGHT type of strings
You are right and so is he on this point. I also use my own sets corrected for string tension. Standard guitar string packs are totally all over the map. THe theory is not just theory but fact. Each sting has so many lbs of tension at pitch. A normal set of 10 - 46 for instance is terrible. You will notice some strings are hard to bend while others are sloppy. THe idea is to go up in tension a few pounds as the strings get thicker. This creates a nice even tension so each string feels the same. Its nice and comfy to play on. Even tension makes any guitar play much better.

However the mass market sees only what they beleive "standard". The string companies know of this but they must sell and the market hasnt noticed the standard is inferior. Just like most people have no idea how banks create money out of thin air. Lots of things go ignored.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
Thought I would resurrect this thread-does anyone own or has owned one of his guitars.

I could care less about his attitude, arrogance etc-I am interested in anyone's thoughts on the guitars themselves,

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Iclicked on a few........I liked all that I saw.........prices are reasonable.......comments were funny to me..........what do I know........

·
Registered
921 Posts
From Zachary's website, an interesting reply:

Here is a comment from very angry "Houndog" ...aspiring guitar tinkerer

"(Zachary is saying) - I'm going to start building what I feel like building, then I'll decide if you deserve my guitar and maybe, MAYBE, I'll condescend to sell it to you for an amount that is several hundreds of times more than it is worth. How does that sound for a business plan? That guy has got to be the biggest ass in Canada. I wonder how long it took him to write all those unbiased, unsolicited testimonials from his disciples? Oxygen is waisted on people like him.
If money were no object I'd become the biggest collector of his "guitars", and every year I'd host a huge party where every guest gets to smash one to smithereens and throw it on the enormous fire built entirely out of his high priced firewood. Personally , I'd like to "earn" one of his guitars by smashing his head in with one!

Walpole, Ma. - Jeff 'Houndog' Porter - part time tinkerer/full time guitar chat room poster "

·
Registered
567 Posts
(And when I read this about what the nut is made from-"I can't divulge the actual material" I had an image of Charlton Heston screaming--Some of you will get that reference.)[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
9,743 Posts
I didnt know that disabled people were such a big market for guitar manufacturers sigiifa ...or such a problem for them.

Jackass can keep his guitars. Nothing special to me. I wonder if hes trying to make a name for himself by using shock value to create a buzz. Sell guitars by having a bizarre persona.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Um so... telling the guy you only really want his guitar is so you can play one while sitting in the crapper? You know, to be reminded of the difference between what crap sounds like vs his guitar.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts