The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy watching old movies. The Hyland Cinema in London does retro night on the last Friday of the month and runs an old movie staring at 11 pm. The theatre looks like it has not been updated since the 70's as it has the old seating, stage, and curtain that opens as the movie begins. In the last year, my youngest son and I have seen Jaws, Beetlejuice, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, and Ghostbusters.

On Netflix, I recently watched To Kill a Mockingbird and Breaking Away. Tonight it was Easy Rider with Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and a very young Jack Nicholson. What was most interesting and has prompted me to post this thread, was the sound track, starting off with Steppenwolf and ending with Roger McGuinn. The sound of the times indeed!

These movies move very slowly compared to movies of today that are a multimedia bombardment of the senses. Can't help but wonder if the younger generation finds it difficult to sit through these movies. Hopefully not because they are great.

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Tonight, it was Easy Rider with Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and a very young Jack Nicholson. What was most interesting and has prompted me to post this thread, was the sound track, starting off with Steppenwolf and ending with Roger McGuinn. The sound of the times indeed!
Groovy tunes bud! This soundtrack is never far from my turntable.
Truly a master work.

Sent from my other brain.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
These movies move very slowly compared to movies of today that are a multimedia bombardment of the senses. Can't help but wonder if the younger generation finds it difficult to sit through these movies. Hopefully not because they are great.
This is why I have almost no interest in modern movies. I think hollywood has forgotten the art of acting or plots in favor of CGI and action.
This is why I gravitate towards TV series. I find much better acting, character development and more interesting plots. I'm watching one right now called "Wentworth" which is an Australian production. Pamela Rabe who is an Oakville, Ontario native and moved to Australia in 83 plays an "Anthony Hopkins" like creepy character who's acting I think is phenomenal. The production is a bit low budget but for me it adds to the realism.
Those old movies are great and its great that there is a theater that shows them as the best way to watch them is the big theater screen.
I remember when I lived in London, Ontario back in the early 80's there was a theater downtown that showed older movies every week.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I can't stand the short-attention span editing of most modern material

that, and the wobbly handheld camera nonsensse that is thrown in everywhere

more "bah humbug!!" I suppose....but it's true

·
Registered
12,956 Posts
I saw Easy Rider when it first came out and have probably seen it 30 times since then, I have 5 different VHS copies including a much censored German version and 3 different DVDs. I also have the sound track on every media it came out on including a bootleg version on cassette recorded at the drive-inn theatre in Vernon. Beats all hell out of what's out there now. Most of the people I know still watch it as do their kids and grand-kids. My grand-daughters will watch one of the dvd versions with me. They laugh when I grab the VHS tape.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
I personally thought this movie blew....Some old movies just aren't that great...the other one I wish I hadn't wasted my time on, is Cool Hand Luke....total garbage aside from the car wash scene.

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
I personally thought this movie blew....
i disagree this time. i really think it was a good movie, for it's time.

for those who do enjoy it, you may find it interesting to see some of the "making of" stuff that is out there. what they went through to make that movie, and some of the details involved are incredible. i cant imagine spending that much time on one of those choppers, it's a wonder those guys didn't ruin their backs

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Social values are reflected in movies so often older movies seem childish or uninteresting because we have long since moved passed the issues or behavior.
that's a big part of it...
the "anti-establishment" sentiments in the 60's don't hold up today. the 1980's brooding "heroes" ie Maverick in Topgun, who were sexy in their day, seem like whiny pussies who cant get their shit together and are going to go postal at any minute. the stiff acting and mid-atlantic way of speaking from the 40's just comes across as cheesy and bad acting.
the clock stops for no one.
Awhile back, I got a girlfriend to watch the Exorcist, which I consider one of the biggest mindfuck movies id seen....afterwards she was like "...meh....not scary at all...". Things become dated and lose their relevancy if you didn't see them in their generation.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
A fun movie. They used to show it on TV Ontario now and then, back when they had a budget and mandate for showing non-documentaries
I got my "education" in classic movies from TVO as a kid, watching Elliot Yosts show with my dad. There weren't many other kids in my grade that had scene a Tyrone Power movie....or even ppl my own age now, honestly.
Our sat package has TCM which plays a lot of old movies. I finally got to see Casablanca last year on it.
Last month they played another over-rated, underwhelming classic...Bullitt. Cool car, stupid movie.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
I didn't know you could watch classics like "To kill a mockingbird" on Netflix! Just have to watch this. Read the book but never seen the movie!

My all time favourite movie is Shawshank Redemption! I can't recount how many times I have seen it! What a great, great classic.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
I didn't know you could watch classics like "To kill a mockingbird" on Netflix! Just have to watch this. Read the book but never seen the movie!

My all time favourite movie is Shawshank Redemption! I can't recount how many times I have seen it! What a great, great classic.
I really like that movie. The opening scene got me hooked!

There must be a con' like me in every prison in america ,
I'm the guy who can get it for ya ,
Cigarettes , a bag of reefer (If that's your thing)
A bottle o' brandy to celebrate your kid's high school graduation ,
Damn near anything within reason .
Yes sir , I'm a regular sears and roebuck .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts