The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I picked up in American Professional Stratocaster body for dirt cheap because it has a giant hole in the back of it, which as you can see from the pictures penetrates in a couple spots in the front of the body. I have no clue how this happened...

Basically I'm looking for a cheap and effective way to fill this hole and then paint over it so the guitar looks okay. The neck that's going on it is also a piece of crap so I really don't care if it doesn't look all that great. Also, I'd really like to keep the body as light as possible so whatever filler material I use I would like it to be very light.

I know the typical way would be to route it cleanly, stick a piece of alder in there and fill in the gaps. I don't want to go that direction because I don't have the tools for that, plus it's too time-consuming and I really don't care that much about this body.

Thanks in advance any and all suggestions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
Epoxy? Not sure how heavy that would be, then you'd still have to sand and paint obviously. I'd say auto body filler, but bondo might shrink/swell/crack over time.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Epoxy is quickest/ easiest, not too heavy (depending on type, no heavier than the original wood), but for that volume also not cheap (not too pricey though either). As a bonus, you'll get a like from @jb welder

The best thing to do would be get a pc of wood (solid colour so grain match no matter; doesn't even have to be the same species - looks like a 2x4 offcut might work) that is bigger than the current hole but a simpler shape (i.e. square vs that random nightmare), then cut out the hole bigger to the size of that fill piece and plug it in with some glue. Only a bit more work, but better solution and cheaper.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
0099.JPG
You could buy one of those tiny saws and try to cut it more square, then glue in a block

Reactions: powrshftr

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
A piece of 1" dowel or bigger, then fill in with Bondo, a little at a time to avoid shrinkage and cracking. A little sanding and Bob's your uncle!

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Cut a piece of wood as close to the shape of the hole, glue it in and fill around it with epoxy. Sand and paint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts