The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been thinking about an Eastwood AIRLINE 3P DLX since I saw it on Scott's website (Axe and You Shall Receive). When I get out of school (finally), I hope to have a little more disposible income (read: money for gear). I am sure I will be bothering Scott to send me one at some point.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the answer . I was considering either a airline map in seafoam green or one of the mosrite-like (probably the hummingbird) . I understand that there are better alternatives for the price ?

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
There really aren't. Eastwood's strength is that they offer copies of guitars that no one else does. They are great looking guitars, and definitely have their own market.

My personal experience with them is that I haven't been happy with the quality, or specs on the models I have tried. While they are decently priced, I just personally didn't see much value in the price. The guitars look great, but when I have played them I haven't been happy with the electronics or the hardware on them. And my key issue was that on some models they use completely different woods then original versions used and it really changes the sound of the guitar.

They are cool looking guitars though. If I was still gigging doing the type of music my last band plated (a lot of surf) I would buy one and upgrade it just for the visual aspects of it.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i have two, a black p90 special (copy of a les paul double cut) and a red corona (sg copy).

i haven't played the corona yet, but the p90 special is a monster. this is a very inexpensive guitar, yet it acquits itself extremely well. the vintage tuners seem to work quite well, and i'm not sure i want to replace the pickups or other electronics and hardware. my only complaint is the slightly narrow but very fat neck, which is not a quality issue at all, just not what i'm used to (modern teles and strats).

i've played a couple other eastwood guitars, and was similarly impressed. there's new barney kessel model due out in a few months that is quite amazing!

this company has managed to grab a very interesting international niche market.

-dh

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Hey David, can you let me know what you think of the Corona when you get it? It's one model I am very interested in. According to the specs it SHOULD have a wider neck then the P-90 Special. Maybe you could verify that for me.

It's appealing as well because it's actually all Mahogany which is what the P-90 Special SHOULD have been. I would have bought the P-90 Special in a second if it was. The Basswood body just wasn't appealing to me tone wise.

There is a store about 45 minutes away from me that carries all the models, but I am so swamped with work I have had no chance to get there.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
torndownunit said:
Hey David, can you let me know what you think of the Corona when you get it? It's one model I am very interested in. According to the specs it SHOULD have a wider neck then the P-90 Special. Maybe you could verify that for me.
It's appealing as well because it's actually all Mahogany which is what the P-90 Special SHOULD have been. I would have bought the P-90 Special in a second if it was. The Basswood body just wasn't appealing to me tone wise.
There is a store about 45 minutes away from me that carries all the models, but I am so swamped with work I have had no chance to get there.

...i picked the guitar up last night, but it came with nines, and i haven't had a chance to set it up as yet.

i like the neck. it is definitely wider and thinner than the sp90, more akin to the strat and tele necks i'm used to, but not as thin and rubbery as the neck on the sg i used in the 70s.

if the guitar holds up over time, i am going to perform some serious mods!

-dh

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought 3 Eastwood guitars.
the only one I hated was the map guitar (the copy of old National map guitar).
I hated the pickups. it didn't stay in tune. didn't like the neck.
The Messenger and RS II are better guitars. Even if I didn't like the floating bridge. It stays in tune very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts