The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the search for a 335 style guitar, but not a Gibson. After much research I have come down to wanting an Eastman T486, but I am having a really hard time finding one for sale anywhere. A few questions:

1) Has anyone here played the T486 and can comment on it? How would it compare to say a Yamaha SA2000/2200, Guild Starfire VI or Ibanez AS200. The thing with the Eastmans is they are very well made (I own an Eastman AR905ce) with good components and are less expensive new than these aforementioned models are used.

2) Does anyone know where there might be either a used one for sale, or a new one in stock? I would be interested in the Classic, Red or Sunburst finishes, but definitely not Black. I have searched all over North America and cannot find any, other than a couple on Reverb.

Much appreciated :)
Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After not receiving many responses, yesterday I used the Eastman dealers map for the USA and checked out almost every USA dealer for an Eastman T486 "in stock". I found 5 in stock, but two of them would not ship to Canada. Long story short, I ordered a nice brand new Red T486 from Bernunzio Uptown Music today in New York for $999. The guy I dealt with (Sam) was one of the best and nicest sellers I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. I would definitely contact this store again when I am in the market. I would prefer to purchase within Canada, but very few stores in Canada actually stock Eastman guitars and will never purchase a guitar without first at least being able to see it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the Eastman guitars here. I guess partly because they are hard to find in Canada. I received my Eastman T486 today and can say this guitar is every bit as good as the many Gibson 335's I have played since the 60's, and for the price is a STEAL!! If anyone is in the market for a 335 style guitar, I can highly recommend the T486. In CAD$, including shipping and taxes, it cost me around $1500. I was somewhat preparing myself to swap the SD Jazz and 59 pups, but they sound great in this guitar and are staying put! The guitar looks, sounds and plays awesome. I plan to take some photos in a day or two and will post some.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Congrats and please post some pics. I owned both an Eastman t186 (all solid woods) and a Yamaha SA2000. The Eastman was a much more lively instrument, but both were excellent guitars. Here's a pic of the Eastman I had, definitely high on my list of "wish I had kept it".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a beauty!! I thought about getting a solid wood model, but opted for the laminate because it has a bit better feedback resistance. Plus the price was too good to pass on. :) Here's a few pics of the T486.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts