The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was playing an Eastman e 20 ss the other day , made in China, solid woods , and thought it sounded and played great ! The guy offered it to me for about half what Cosmo pricing is . Anyone have one ? Did the glow wear off after awhile and it fell out of favour ? I really liked it at the time, but I have been down this road before with Blue ridge.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Go over to the acoustics forum. Eastman's are for real acoustics. There is just never anything bad said about them. I really get tired of "it's made in China" syndrome. They have been making guitars for decades and many models are made there that are better than what you will find in North America. We also have made a bunch of low end instruments just like every other country in the world.

If you have found an Eastman at a very good price and it is the tone you like, grab it.

Reactions: SWLABR and Scotty

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Go over to the acoustics forum. Eastman's are for real acoustics. There is just never anything bad said about them. I really get tired of "it's made in China" syndrome. They have been making guitars for decades and many models are made there that are better than what you will find in North America. We also have made a bunch of low end instruments just like every other country in the world.

If you have found an Eastman at a very good price and it is the tone you like, grab it.
Based on the statement in bold other parts of the world have been making guitars for a century or more so they should be better. It doesn't matter how long you've been making them. Martin has been making guitars for over a century yet Collings and Bourgeois quality far surpasses most of what Martin puts out.
Usually the people that say they're chinese made guitar is far better than "X Brand" are people that couldn't afford "X Brand".
Thats not to say that some chinese made brands aren't great value. Getting you 80% of the way there at 50% of the cost.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Based on the statement in bold other parts of the world have been making guitars for a century or more so they should be better. It doesn't matter how long you've been making them. Martin has been making guitars for over a century yet Collings and Bourgeois quality far surpasses most of what Martin puts out.
Usually the people that say they're chinese made guitar is far better than "X Brand" are people that couldn't afford "X Brand".
Thats not to say that some chinese made brands aren't great value. Getting you 80% of the way there at 50% of the cost.
Many Chinese guitars are more than great value. Some of them are simply great guitars. Play some with an open mind.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I had an E10om for a while and traded it for a Strat in a fit of Strat GAS. I wish I hadn't done that. The Strat is long gone and I miss that OM. They are very good guitars and sound great. They don't sound exactly like the Martin or Gibson models they emulate, but they have their own good sound.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Religious forum wars are always fun to watch. A good guitar is a good guitar. It doesn't matter who made it or where it was made. What matters is the quality of the materials, the design, and the quality of the build.
And the sound it makes, of course.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I'm not as impressed with the flattop acoustic guitars as I am with their electrics, though they're ARE worth trying. Eastman is a quality manufacturer. I've tried several semi-hollow electrics that were stellar and a friend owned one that I borrowed a few times that I should have bought when I had the chance (it was sold to help pay his debts when he died).

However, the solid wood carved acoustic mandolins are superb.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I'm not as impressed with the flattop acoustic guitars as I am with their electrics, though they're ARE worth trying. Eastman is a quality manufacturer. I've tried several semi-hollow electrics that were stellar and a friend owned one that I borrowed a few times that I should have bought when I had the chance (it was sold to help pay his debts when he died).

I thought that was where they started and acquired some of their expertise. Yes? or No?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Tried couple of them when I was looking for a lower cost guitar and yeah they have their own good sound although both the ones I tried had neck issues which was kinda unexpected bcs the problem was quite obvious on both of them. That and the slightly narrow nut width meant that I didn’t go any further with them. Nice sound though.

I have one of their mandolins which I like very much.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts

I saw Ian Thomas with some others (Lunch at Allen's) in concert tonight and he joked about his Eastman mandolin. He said Gibson would be upset if they knew he had an Eastman. Apparently, he only learned to play the mandolin lately.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I saw Ian Thomas with some others (Lunch at Allen's) in concert tonight and he joked about his Eastman mandolin. He said Gibson would be upset if they knew he had an Eastman. Apparently, he only learned to play the mandolin lately.
I've picked up a couple of the higher end Eastman mandolins in the Burlington L&M in the past, as I play some Mandolin and they were pretty nice. But there was also a Gibson F5 there that was simply amazing and no comparison. Of course I grew up with bluegrass and the Gibson mandolin is "that" sound. Everything about it, feel, look and tone were miles and miles above. But so was the price tag. It cost about the same as my Martin D-28 Authentic.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I think you are generalizing this too much. There are many of us that have the means to buy the best of the best but choose to buy products that make better dollars and sense. 80% to you may be 100% to someone else. And to those who are happy with 80% vs spending 3-5X more to achieve that 20% more gain, then I applaud that. Everything in life is a trade off. Some like to burn money, others like to make money

As for MIC, they are not an up and comer, they have arrived. If you think they don't have the capability to be the world's best, you are wrong. Their chosen market is one that makes the most sense, and that's in the good to very good product for best value/volume sales.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I think you are generalizing this too much. There are many of us that have the means to buy the best of the best but choose to buy products that make better dollars and sense. 80% to you may be 100% to someone else. And to those who are happy with 80% vs spending 3-5X more to achieve that 20% more gain, then I applaud that. Everything in life is a trade off. Some like to burn money, others like to make money

As for MIC, they are not an up and comer, they have arrived. If you think they don't have the capability to be the world's best, you are wrong. Their chosen market is one that makes the most sense, and that's in the good to very good product for best value/volume sales.
My generalities hold quite true for the most part. Those that compromise and look for total value over the details that get you top tier have different priorities. I could afford a high end luxury car. But I drive a Hyundai Sonata sport tech because I don't give a shit about cars as long as it gets me from point A to point B. However I have about 15k tied up in 2 acoustics because I was looking for something specific and my priorities were to get the finest guitar I could afford. Sure I could better value in an offshore brand but it wouldn't be exactly what I want. Those who compromise either don't know the difference or they know and aren't willing to spend 50% more money for 15% more gain. Theres nothing wrong with that. There are a lot of products I compromise on to.
There's a stereo\TV shop guy in town that I know who sells high end 4k tv's. always trying to talk me in to spend 5 to 10k for a top of line tv. I always tell him my 5 year old plasmas are awesome and I'm happy with them. My 65" cost me $1,200 when I bought it. I can tell the difference between the sets csting 2k and the ones costing 10k but I certainly wouldn't spend that on a TV. When my plasmas are done and I'm out for a new tv I'll be looking at spending no more than $1,500. Thats just my priority. But I'll never tell the guy that my $1,200 plasma is as good as his 10K OLED. Same thing with guitars. Yes a lot of those offshore brand guitars are great and good value. But the likelihood they'll give a Collings Traditional or a Martin Authentic any run for the money is about zero.
So as you say some like to burn money. Almost every one has a way of burning money. Its just most of us have priorities on what we like to burn money on. Thats why I'm on a guitar forum and not a car forum.
Whats MIC?

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Why would Gibson be upset?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
When I'm considering a good acoustic, it's K. Yairi, Larrivee, or Eastman mostly. You have to try them though, but the same goes for Gibson or Matin guitars at two or three times the price.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Studies have show when people spend money on a product it usually gets good reviews from them. When they spend big money on items, it is rare they don't get a good review from the owner. It is difficult for a person to admit they may have spent way more than others to obtain the same thing. I usually consider all the bad reviews and over the top reviews with skepticism because of this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts