The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All solid wood, very reasonably priced. Est around $1000 Cdn.

AC222CE

Reactions: mawmow

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The AC122ce and AC122-2ce are both solid wood and about $100Cdn less.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. I just read on a retailers sight that the AC122 models are laminate ,

·
Registered
208 Posts
All solid wood, very reasonably priced. Est around $1000 Cdn.

AC222CE

Looks just like my old Taylor 414ce. No accident, I’m sure. This one is solid Ovangkol back. That wood is quite underwhelming, imo and rosewood is so much better.

Which brings me to say that you can do much better in a Canadian made guitar for the same money. Think Simon & Patrick Showcase Concert w/solid rosewood, for one. Just sayin...

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Looks just like my old Taylor 414ce. No accident, I’m sure. This one is solid Ovangkol back. That wood is quite underwhelming, imo and rosewood is so much better.

Which brings me to say that you can do much better in a Canadian made guitar for the same money. Think Simon & Patrick Showcase Concert w/solid rosewood, for one. Just sayin...
It’s funny, but I found it to be the opposite for me. The Showcase Concert that I tried sounded overbuilt and lacked bass, while the AC model I tried the same day sounded livelier and more responsive. Now, I can’t remember if it was the ovangkol model or not, so your point about ovangkol could still be true. I’ve tried a few of the Taylors and didn’t care for the sound.

@Robert1950 Eastman’s website does list the back and sides specifically as “solid _____”, so I’d gonwith the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hmmm. I just read on a retailers sight that the AC122 models are laminate ,
Yep ! Laminate sapele.
Do you remember my review with my AC122ce some two weeks ago ? ;-)

I feel they tend to copy Taylor...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts

Tried the Taylor 414ce too and for the money, I will stick with the Eastman's laminat sapele instead of Taylor' solid Ovangkol. I have to say I have axes in the 500 series, solid mahogany : I prefer them over the 414.

On the other hand, a luthier told me it appears discouraging to see Eastman sold here for the price we would only have the woods imported. As discussed somewhere else on this site, we have to pay the crafters...

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep ! Laminate sapele.
Do you remember my review with my AC122ce some two weeks ago ? ;-)
I feel they tend to copy Taylor...
Oops. I've been missing a few things on this forum lately. Seniors moments I guess. I will have to look it up. When it comes to feel and playability I prefer Taylor over Martin, even though I prefer the sound of a Martin 00017 for blues.

However most of my 'noodling' this year has been electric, so I can't justify considering an additional acoustic. May change next year, maybe not. Will see

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I can't remember why I came to believe it was laminate though I also read it could be solid wood...
Anyway, forgetting about the price, it really sounds great !

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found both retailers and guitar builders to make mistakes in the past. I've pointed out three to L&M in the past and one to Godin (Simon and Patrick) in the past. For now I will go with one who has played the instrument ( @mawmow )

Reactions: jdto and mawmow

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have found both retailers and guitar builders to make mistakes in the past. I've pointed out three to L&M in the past and one to Godin (Simon and Patrick) in the past. For now I will go with one who has played the instrument ( @mawmow )
You are too kind Robert !
I don't ask that more. ;-)

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
I have done the same. I told the manager of our local L & M that, Steve, the president was going to give me a free Martin guitar. For some reason he chuckled and didn't believe me.:)

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I think Eastman must have just made the switch, based on this banner on their website. It appears their new AC models are all solid, while the PCH series have laminate backs and sides. So the older models that are out there with dealers may still have the laminate backs and sides, while the new ones are solid.

upload_2018-7-4_10-6-11.png

·
Registered
208 Posts
I’d like to try some of these Eastmans. There’s an aweful lot of buzz around these guitars these days and I would like to know why.

Problem is, the Eastman website does not list Canadian dealers. Anybody know of a dealer near Ottawa?

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
I’d like to try some of these Eastmans. There’s an aweful lot of buzz around these guitars these days and I would like to know why.

Problem is, the Eastman website does not list Canadian dealers. Anybody know of a dealer near Ottawa?
The closest one is in Ottawa. However, there may be another one closer to you. Email Eastman and ask. They will get back to you for I asked this very same question. L & M stock some but mostly the electrics but only a few. So when you ask, tell them to exclude L & M.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts