The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our son advised me to "start mashing the F5 button at midnight". I fully expected all systems to crash, and all lines to be busy all day, in response to demand, and figured on waiting a few more days before trying to register. But my wife is a stickler for these things, so she called up this morning. She DID have to listen to the same soft jazz tune for 30 minutes, but set her phone down beside her on her work desk and was able to do actual work to fill in the time. But with the 30-minute wait, we were both able to register for first dose on April 23rd, with 2nd dose on August 19.

I see people complaining about how that's stretching out the 2nd dose too far/long. But you know, it was only 2 weeks ago that, as far as we knew, I would not be eligible to attempt registering for a first dose until June 1, and my wife not before July 1. Then the vaccine supply increased, and deliveries arrived, and the dates changed. I could easily see that second dose being rescheduled for early-to mid June by the time we go for our first dose.

The landscape keeps changing for the better, so I'm not concerned about the tentative 4-month gap. It's 4-1/2 months away, which leaves plenty of time to shorten it considerably.

·
Premium Member
17,689 Posts
Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to a similar event. They're still on the 65 years old or older demographic and there's no provision on our Health Board's web site to add medical background issues. I'll just have to wait a little longer.

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
forever the optimist.
the concern from people is simply, what if the availability doesnt exceed current forecasts? how will that impact effectiveness?
those of us who havent worked for the civil service arent as confident in the government outperforming, as its as rare as an easter bunny sighting. The concerns are legitimate.

But glad you got things under way and hope it goes well.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Our son advised me to "start mashing the F5 button at midnight". I fully expected all systems to crash, and all lines to be busy all day, in response to demand, and figured on waiting a few more days before trying to register. But my wife is a stickler for these things, so she called up this morning. She DID have to listen to the same soft jazz tune for 30 minutes, but set her phone down beside her on her work desk and was able to do actual work to fill in the time. But with the 30-minute wait, we were both able to register for first dose on April 23rd, with 2nd dose on August 19.

I see people complaining about how that's stretching out the 2nd dose too far/long. But you know, it was only 2 weeks ago that, as far as we knew, I would not be eligible to attempt registering for a first dose until June 1, and my wife not before July 1. Then the vaccine supply increased, and deliveries arrived, and the dates changed. I could easily see that second dose being rescheduled for early-to mid June by the time we go for our first dose.

The landscape keeps changing for the better, so I'm not concerned about the tentative 4-month gap. It's 4-1/2 months away, which leaves plenty of time to shorten it considerably.
So, you're not concerned that the wait time between jabs is approx. 3 times longer than the recommendation of the manufacturer, and in this time, you will be in a sub optimal position, if exposed to the virus.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Native status all ages is available and they have the doses but I'm not ready just yet. For me its Johnson and Johnson or nothing. I want the one shot vaccine, not a 2 shot where they keep changing the science on intervals between shots.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Great to hear mhammer. We also got our bookings. Although now we are trying to decide whether we take the Astra Zeneca or the Pfizer/Moderna.

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
I went online around 10AM-had to wait in an online queue for 15 minutes and then booked the appointment-not too bad at all.

·
Premium Member
25,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife was told it would be either Pfizer or Moderna. Am I concerned about the gap between doses? Not in the least, since I don't expect it to be adhered to, and probably shrunk considerably before we approach summer. The biggest fly in the ointment so far has been the suppliers and supply, that sparked a variety of panicky "What'll we do now?" reactions from federal and provincial levels. I think that's simmering down now.

There have been a number of things that few expected. One was certainly the initial hiccup in production, as "big pharma" stopped and retooled to meet demand. Another was that the mask-'n-wash strategy, coupled with so many working from home, managed to stave off the double-whammy of a seasonal flu epidemic that hospital administrators and public health folks were terrified of happening concurrent with a second wave. I'm reminded here of the old Sam the Sham song "Oh that's good, no that's bad".

Pleased to hear from others here that their experience was as efficient and painless as ours. I'm not the greatest fan of the current provincial government, but so far this initiative has come off without a hitch, so kudos to the provincial and municipal coordinators, and relevant ministry folk. If we can get the populace to be as thoughtful, it'll be a big win.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Good to hear.

I was getting a bit frustrated with the Region my dad is in. Near where I live, they had already started doing the 60 somethings. He is mid 70's, and was "well within the window" but he could not get an appointment. He tried daily, my wife tried (for him) and so did I. "No spaces available, please try back in a few weeks". WEEKS?!?!?!? Are you f**king kidding me?!?!?!??! We did not! We tried daily! Finally, he has one booked for Monday.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts
In BC they decided to limit the Astra Zeneca to the 55-65 age group and it is being done through pharmacies. My wife has an appointment for tomorrow. I'm 66 so I'll be getting Moderna or Pfizer. I'm registered but won't get an appointment until they get to my age cohort. Should be sometime in the next week or so for an appointment and a week after that for the shot. Then it's a three week wait and we may have the grandkids for a sleepover. That will depend on how the case count is at the time. One step daughter is immune compromised and the other runs a daycare so has lots of potential exposures.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
On the news today they were reporting that the wealthier parts of Toronto has a much MUCH higher percentage of people vaccinated. Seems there is a benefit to being able to work from your desk at home where you can work while on hold over actually having to go out and stock shelves and produce items on the line, etc.

·
Premium Member
25,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the news today they were reporting that the wealthier parts of Toronto has a much MUCH higher percentage of people vaccinated. Seems there is a benefit to being able to work from your desk at home where you can work while on hold over actually having to go out and stock shelves and produce items on the line, etc.
Yep, that's an ugly and wholly unnecessary reality.
Like I keep saying, if the immunization program is to stop spread, then the people you want to vaccinate first are those whose daily life and job obliges them to be around lots of people. Masks are great, but remember that the primary function of the non-N95 mask is about exhaling not inhaling. So we may be protected from mask-wearing grocery-store staff, but they're not necessarily protected from us.

·
Premium Member
25,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got the Moderna shot yesterday, 2nd dose is scheduled for July 27th ..
Personally, I'd consider that as a tentative date. That's 3-1/2 months away. Think back 3-1/2 months ago. NOTHING of what we're currently experiencing was anticipated. Not the third wave. NOt the increased vaccine supply. So I expect vaccine-timing to change.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts