The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Signs are pointing to it.At least 'round here
11 robins in my cheery tree on valentine's day,and bunch more since.
A pair of bluebirds checking out one of my birdhouses 3-4 days ago.
Flock of red winged blackbirds yesterday .
and this morning there are geese flying.

And it's still Feb.

:cool:

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
My skiing season can't be done yet, I hope.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Signs are pointing to it.At least 'round here
11 robins in my cheery tree on valentine's day,and bunch more since.
A pair of bluebirds checking out one of my birdhouses 3-4 days ago.
Flock of red winged blackbirds yesterday .
and this morning there are geese flying.

And it's still Feb.

:cool:
Most Robins don't fly south, but I think you may be right and they have come out of the forest. The birds have been singing for 2 weeks, and the redwing blackbirds are in my yard too. I hope it isn't another dry summer now that the snow has mostly gone

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most Robins don't fly south, but I think you may be right and they have come out of the forest. The birds have been singing for 2 weeks, and the redwing blackbirds are in my yard too. I hope it isn't another dry summer now that the snow has mostly gone
I'm about 1/2 hour south of Ottawa,we see the odd robin every now and then in the winter, most times none at all ,almost always a single bird ,never a flock,in my 40 years of paying attention anyway.
Bluebirds are never this early.
And yes,we need more rain than we got last year for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Earliest I've ever seen the ducks return to my pond this past week here on the south shore of Rice Lake. Ice still on the pond but disappearing quickly. I cleaned out my bird boxes the other day so their ready for the early birds. Did you know that Robins eat the old apples that didn't fall off the trees. No worms yet.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Earliest I've ever seen the ducks return to my pond this past week here on the south shore of Rice Lake. Ice still on the pond but disappearing quickly. I cleaned out my bird boxes the other day so their ready for the early birds. Did you know that Robins eat the old apples that didn't fall off the trees. No worms yet.
How long was the lake frozen for?
I meant to get up this winter, on Family Day, go out on the ice with my atv, maybe lunch at Rhinos, but didn't feel like risking it. Lake simcoe had a very short season.

·
Premium Member
18,334 Posts
Southern Ontario didn't really get much of a winter this year. I visit Barrie reasonably often and they usually have a foot or two of snow all season, and this year it had melted on more than one occasion. I'm in Ottawa right now, and there's snow from the last dump, but it's been pretty mild out.

I know a lot of people are enjoying the mild weather (and not shovelling driveways) but I still worry about what this means going forward in terms of environmental changes and how we'll cope with them collectively.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
I look at this as more of a reprieve than an early spring. Winter will bite our ass at least 2 more times is my prediction.
This sort of weather does mess with nature though...I'm seeing more roadkill lately as animals become active and adventurous again.
I'm hoping it wakens the mosquitoes then hits them with another freeze, to bring their populations down for the summer.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
How long was the lake frozen for?
I meant to get up this winter, on Family Day, go out on the ice with my atv, maybe lunch at Rhinos, but didn't feel like risking it. Lake simcoe had a very short season.
Ice came on late December and is still on but melting. Snowmobiler's were out in full force a week an half ago but wisely staying off it now.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
All the snow is gone here due to a short hot spell. Wasn't much to start with. Just had another dusting and it's back to the usual temperatures. As far a birds go? Still just the usual crows on steroids and obnoxious magpies here in Edmonton.

·
Premium Member
11,563 Posts
I don't remember a winter where we got snow and lost it all so many times. Not just what amounts to ground cover in the fields, but also the huge piles left by ploughs. There's nothing left here in Goderich today, though it has just started to snow again as I type this. Shore and river ice comes and goes, but there hasn't been many days that there hasn't been fishermen on the river (it's open for trout downstream from the highway bridge to the lake all year).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Early spring you say ? There's only been 72 hours of winter up toi now, it can't be spring.
We had over 70cm of snow last week. There's grass showing everywhere today. I was moving firewood in a T-shirt all afternoon.

Depressing.

I WANT A METER OF FRESH POW TO RIDE ! EVERY WEEK IN WINTER.

But I don't think it'll happen.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I don't know where you live but most Robins do fly south. They may not have to go very far south but there are not enough seeds and remaining fruit to keep them in them in northern climes. However, in some areas, like Niagara, there are lots of fruit trees and seeds around that some Robins stay all winter.

When I lived in St. Andrews, NB, I never saw so many Robins in my life as I did there in the spring. They fly up the eastern seaboard and feast in the farmer's fields for a few weeks before dispersing to other areas of Canada. There had to be literally millions of them there in the spring.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Tundra swans already back. Usually see them during March break.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts