The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sweet Early '69 Goldtop just came up locally and I went and checked it out. Really nice condition other than some buckle rash and assorted finish checking and small dings. Overall pretty clean with a pro refret which I like as I want to be able to play the guitar.

Anyway, it has all of the '68 specs (P90's, No Volute, One piece body and neck etc). It appears to have the original case and is a local guitar. My question is regarding value.i know the asking prices on Reverb are getting a bit crazy (20,000+) but I don't think they are selling anywhere near that price. The one I'm looking at is $12k cdn and the seller is pretty cool in that he will accept partial trades.

Am I nuts to consider this or is this fair market value? I've always wanted a '68 Goldtop but have never seen one come up locally.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
@Alex I know that you've been through this process before. Your advice is like a complete thesis. First class stuff.

For me I've never been comfortable owning guitars over $3k USD. That was even pushing it.

Also the ability of each buyer to hold something for a long time plays a factor as well.

I just always repeat to myself: exit plan?
(Just because I know myself. I'll not keep it for more than 3-5 years max )!!

As Alex mentioned, the randomness of life can play a deciding role if you let it. For instance I'd tell myself that if it's still for sale by x date, then I'd buy it. Develops restraint and also makes sure that you really are wanting it.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pricing seems reasonable. If you have doubts on the value, spending that much or the guitar itself, don't buy it yet and wait it out. If the guitar "spoke" to you and the fact that it meets your objective of always wanting a '68, then you have my blessing : - )
Thanks Alex! I know you've had some really sweet gear and some expensive purchases so your blessing actually makes me feel better about the deal. I guess I'm just worried because I've never spent that much on any one thing before. 7k is the most I've ever spent. I don't mind spending big bucks but I always try to buy at a price where I can get my money back if I ever need to sell. I don't need to profit but don't like losing.

Reactions: Alistair6

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@Alex I know that you've been through this process before. Your advice is like a complete thesis. First class stuff.

For me I've never been comfortable owning guitars over $3k USD. That was even pushing it.

Also the ability of each buyer to hold something for a long time plays a factor as well.

I just always repeat to myself: exit plan?
(Just because I know myself. I'll not keep it for more than 3-5 years max )!!

As Alex mentioned, the randomness of life can play a deciding role if you let it. For instance I'd tell myself that if it's still for sale by x date, then I'd buy it. Develops restraint and also makes sure that you really are wanting it.
I totally agree about having an exit plan but I'm unfamiliar with the word "restraint"...%h(*&

That's really good advice about having a date where if it's still available I purchase. My problem is I beat myself up when it sells and think "aw man, why didn't I buy it!" Lol

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Thanks Alex! I know you've had some really sweet gear and some expensive purchases so your blessing actually makes me feel better about the deal. I guess I'm just worried because I've never spent that much on any one thing before. 7k is the most I've ever spent. I don't mind spending big bucks but I always try to buy at a price where I can get my money back if I ever need to sell. I don't need to profit but don't like losing.
Various theories on the future of the vintage guitar market. Your main criteria should be the guitar itself and maybe that should be your litmus test - if you were to take a $2-3K hit, will you still be happy with the purchase.

Arguably, we only live once......so, you may kick yourself for not getting it and if it helps, I'd rather have a great guitar than 3-4 good guitars.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If it`s haunting your thoughts and dreaming about it... Go get it ! ;)

You only live once... if you can afford it, still eat 3 times a day afterwards... this baby will bring you joy of only dreams can...

If the instruments speaks to you and you desire it, you will never regret getting it.

If you let it get away, you will kick yourself in the ... every time you think about it...*#*(

GAS is a B... :rolleyes:

;)

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like a nice guitar. Post lots of pics if you buy it!
Absolutely!

If it`s haunting your thoughts and dreaming about it... Go get it ! ;)

You only live once... if you can afford it, still eat 3 times a day afterwards... this baby will bring you joy of only dreams can...

If the instruments speaks to you and you desire it, you will never regret getting it.

If you let it get away, you will kick yourself in the ... every time you think about it...*#*(

GAS is a B... :rolleyes:

;)
Very true...
Is it safe to assume that you're single?o_O
Hahaha, I have a patient wife. I don't Golf or have any expensive hobbies other than a love of guitars and amps so she is pretty cool with it.

Or soon to be !!! :rolleyes:
Hahaha!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Various theories on the future of the vintage guitar market. Your main criteria should be the guitar itself and maybe that should be your litmus test - if you were to take a $2-3K hit, will you still be happy with the purchase.

Arguably, we only live once......so, you may kick yourself for not getting it and if it helps, I'd rather have a great guitar than 3-4 good guitars.

Cheers
That's kind of what I'm starting to think...trade and sell a few nice/cool guitars for one really cool guitar. I can always buy another Custom Shop Les Paul or PRS but this is the first time in 30 years that a Goldtop has come up locally.

Reactions: Roryfan

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
+1 about always being able to find another Custom Shop guitar. Clean vintage guitars that play & sound well are getting harder & harder to find, especially on the good side of the 49th. You have my blessing as well, esp. if you're able to trade/consolidate/upgrade.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts