The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought a 59 Thin Skin Strat of ebay($860,not bad eh?).I imagine there'll be duty and taxes,anyone know approx how much.Can't seem to find out. Thanx.

·
Registered
255 Posts
your probably looking at another $100.00 if you shipped it by ups..If it was usps then just the GST will be charged.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Does UPS charge brokerage plus gst?USPS doesn't charge a brokerage fee,right? Thanx.
When I had my Thin Skin shipped from the states via UPS I paid 75 buck sin "brokerage" and the rest in GST. Usps will not charge brokerage.Just GST.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree, USPS gets you out of the brokerage fees. Might take a few days longer than UPS/FedEx.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Shipping + brokerage + taxes + duty (if not NAFTA)

W

·
0 Posts
I avoid UPS whenever possible. Their brokerage fees are higher than anyone else. They do seem to get stuff through customs faster though.
With USPS I've been quite happy and try to use the postal service always.
Be prepared for a possible delay through customs, I just had a pair of condensor mics shipped up and they were in customs for 3 weeks. I guess with our dollar right now a lot of stuff is coming in from the states.
I only paid taxes on them, no duty which I had fully expected. Seems a bit of a crap shoot to figure out what you might pay.

·
Registered
561 Posts
a couple of things to add.

under $1500 value is easier to deal with for customs. Over that, the Nafta declaration must come from the manufacturer, not the seller. UPS and Fedex will err in their favour, USPS may be better

The fastest service USPS is given to Fedex and presto, you'll have all the benefits of Fedex' $75 brokerage fees and all.....better go with the second fastest option......found that out right when I went on a Fedex boycott due to a bunch of matters.....UPS and DHL came to the plate and quickly and decisively established that they are no better but that's another matter.

USPS raised the rates considerably. Canada Post also raised the brokerage fee to afaik $8, no big deal.

Imports without a BIN, ie. private individuals are subject to provincial tax as well.

Taxes are charged on the duty and the brokerage fee........go figure and in Quebec, the GST is taxed too:smilie_flagge17:

Andy

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Customs

I will beable to tell you in a couple days. Just bought an 800.00 guitar from the USA. I live in Ontario,I would assume provinces vary in prices.
I had this shipped USPS with Tracking and Insurance.

The guys are right UPS will charge Brokers fee's which is a % based on the price.
Canada custom's also base the tax on the Canadian Dollar value,, Not what you paid in US price. which doesn't mean to much now with our Dollar being near par.. or stronger.

I will post what it cost me when i get it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
I will be able to tell you in a couple days. Just bought an 800.00 guitar from the USA. I live in Ontario,I would assume provinces vary in prices. I had this shipped USPS with Tracking and Insurance.

Rick
Ontario collects PST 8% and GST 6%.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Taxes

Ya your right

I got the guitar today >> Made in japan>> PST and GST $800.00 Value
112.00 taxes

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts