The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,450 Posts
Has anyone tried one? What did you think of it?
That's my main delay. I love the fact that it doesn't alter tone at all. I worked hard for my tone and the last thing I wanted was a delay or reverb stealing it.

My only issue is that I don't believe it emulates the echoplex very well.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my main delay. I love the fact that it doesn't alter tone at all. I worked hard for my tone and the last thing I wanted was a delay or reverb stealing it.

Nothing does. If you want the sound of an Echoplex, you need a real Echoplex. While I've never played one, I'd wager, as with most gear, a big part of the sound is noise, background hiss, and obviously the randomness of everything.

Having said that, I'm sure it's a nice delay.

I still like my old Memory Man, but it has its limitations.

·
Premium Member
8,450 Posts
Nothing does. If you want the sound of an Echoplex, you need a real Echoplex. While I've never played one, I'd wager, as with most gear, a big part of the sound is noise, background hiss, and obviously the randomness of everything.

Having said that, I'm sure it's a nice delay.

I still like my old Memory Man, but it has its limitations.
I had one of the newer reissues, so there was no noise and a very huge sound. I loved it, but they're just too clunky.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I have one and really like it. Cant comment on the comparison to a real echoplex but this is easy to use and gives nice clean delay. Sounds really good to me

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts

Yes, that seems strange to me. One of the great things about an Echoplex is the effect it had on the tone - not exactly transparent. There's lots of pedals trying to duplicate that EP sound, I just assumed this pedal was doing that as well as the delay thing. Go figure.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
24,141 Posts
A great many contemporary delays include additional subcircuits to provide a little wobble to the delay signal, ostensibly to mimic the inconsistency of tape transport and what happens when tapes get stretched in places.

I've built a few, and the general strategy is to include a standard LFO producing a triangle wave for modulating the delay time. But one wonders if that imparts the right "feel". Maybe it gets more authentic when the modulation is a little more random. (Although maybe I'm overestimating the inconsistency of tape transport.)

Now I'm wondering if any of the modulated delay pedals out there incorporate more aperiodic modulation. F'rinstance, Marshall used to make a chorus pedal (and I think included a similar thing in some amps) that had two unsynced LFOs in it. When you have more than one LFO, and they aren't hard-synced to each other, the ups and down in the modulation tend to occur in less predictable fashion.

·
Registered
122 Posts
As an alternative, you could try an EP-3 type preamp into a Boss MIJ DD-2... you may be surprised. The darkness of the pre with the bright repeats can sound very close to a real one at times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts