The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Now that is awesome! I would have grabbed it too! Have no idea on the background though, musta been for a travelling hobo blues git-tar man by the look of that case. :)

Dig it! Have fun!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Nice score!

Essentially, you've got a Champ! Not as much power as a Fender Champ. I'm guessing 2-3 watts instead of 5-6.

The giveaway is the tube lineup and only one transformer. You've got one tube that's probably a 6V6 or 6W6 that would be the output power tube. Another tube would be a rectifier and the last a preamp tube.

Since we only see one transformer the one must be an output transformer. This means the power supply runs directly from the power mains with no isolation or voltage stepup from a power transformer. There will be a capacitor isolating the chassis ground from the power supply ground. If it fails the chassis will be hot with line voltage. You could get a bad shock!

Getting a tech to add a transformer would be a good idea! Still, although everyone will tell you scary stories we should remember that for years and years this was a perfectly legal and common thing to do and history doesn't have stories of millions of people dying like flies from radios, tvs and small guitar amps.

In front of the transformer on top at the left in the picture is a large can mounted to the chassis. It contains filter capacitors for the power supply. They smooth out all the hum after the rectifier has done its job. Over the years they dry out - it's just the way they're made. When they've gone bad they need to be replaced. Meanwhile you will hear a horrible amount of hum! After the cap job the amp will be good for another 20 or more years.

It pays to keep your eyes open, eh?:smile:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
hmm there is two transformers

Bonus! Then judging by the size the one on top is a power transformer and on the bottom is the output trannie.

This means comparable power to a Champ with no fear of chassis shocks.

Good for you!:rockon:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This thing works just dandy. I gave it a 1/2 hr work out tonight. Not bad tone at all not like the deluxe I am used too but a nice overdrive sound. My first reaction is to sell it but I think I want to try to work it into my setup. Maybe with a delay or something.

:rockon2:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Bonus! Then judging by the size the one on top is a power transformer and on the bottom is the output trannie.

This means comparable power to a Champ with no fear of chassis shocks.

Good for you!:rockon:
I'd still put a grounded power cord on it to be safe from chassis shocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts