The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hands are starting to crack from the cold. Is it okay to put lotion on my callus if I won't be playing for a few hours or a night? I'm scared to soften them up and wreck them, I worked hard for these bad boys but my hands are getting pretty dry.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Aveeno Intense Relief moisture repair cream.

Reactions: mawmow

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
And a humidifier. This is winter. In Alberta

P

·
0 Posts
Remember all those consumer drug store moisturizers are made from petroleum. That's why I like argan oil. But with argan oil you have to be careful what you buy. It needs to be 100% pure, and in a dark bottle, and it will be expensive. ($15-$25). But the little bottle goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I like the drug store stuff. Made from rotted, fermenting dinosaurs and tested on kittens and puppies. Really, what could be better than that?

And in a pinch, you can probably use it to start a fire. Double plus bonus!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have been using this for over 20 years:

Hemp Hard-Working Hand Protector

This is especially good for cracking skins. Some people I know cannot handle the slight "fragrance", but heck this is the CG forum FFS.

I use it mainly on my fingertips, but this product is good for the hand.

I have the Cetaphil and St. Ives stuff on the bathroom vanity shelf. They all feel greasy with a generic fragrance to me. I suppose I prefer hemp. :D

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
And a humidifier. This is winter. In Alberta
I've been concerned about my acoustics in the winter and had bought soundhole humidifiers a few years ago - but keep forgetting to fill/check them. Finally I went to Canadian Tire and bought a couple cheap hygrometers (<$3 each) and tried them around the house. This morning they both read 52% and I'm sleeping a whole lot better :cool:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I also use these cheap hygrometers as I compared them to two quality stations some years ago putting all of them on a wet towell to get as near as possible to 100% (method suggested to calibrate one of the quality hygrometer I received as a gift). The cheaper ones showed some +/- 5 variation. So I consider them secure and been using them for years now.

At the time, I used to live in a steel and cement block with wooden floors in fromt of sea salted waters, so humidity used to swing quite much at Fall.

This Fall, in another home and location, humidity fell quite slowly in my house (wood structure and floors) so that it is getting by 50% now though November was exceptionnally cold.

As I experimented putting a wet towell in the room to maintain humidity around 50% last Winter and it worked, I am doing same this year without humidikits in guitar cases. I will keep hygrometers in these cases to monitor the effect.

For my scaly Winter face, I use Aveeno cream...
and file down my calusses...

P

·
0 Posts
I also use these cheap hygrometers as I compared them to two quality stations some years ago putting all of them on a wet towell to get as near as possible to 100% (method suggested to calibrate one of the quality hygrometer I received as a gift). The cheaper ones showed some +/- 5 variation. So I consider them secure and been using them for years now.

At the time, I used to live in a steel and cement block with wooden floors in fromt of sea salted waters, so humidity used to swing quite much at Fall.

This Fall, in another home and location, humidity fell quite slowly in my house (wood structure and floors) so that it is getting by 50% now though November was exceptionnally cold.

As I experimented putting a wet towell in the room to maintain humidity around 50% last Winter and it worked, I am doing same this year without humidikits in guitar cases. I will keep hygrometers in these cases to monitor the effect.

For my scaly Winter face, I use Aveeno cream...
and file down my calusses...
Aveno will cause clogged pours and blackheads. As an oil it is thicker than your natural skin oil. The internet says to use oils as thin or thinner than your natural skin oil. When the oil is thicker it is called being comedogenic, or to cause clogged pours and blackheads. I used Aveno and got clogged pours, then coconut oil, better but still issues, then argan oil, which is non-comdogenic.

The Complete List of Comedogenic Oils - Holistic Health Herbalist

https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https://www.holistichealthherbalist.com:443/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Comedogenic-Ratings.xlsx

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Humidifier keeps my home at about 45 works good for the guitars and for me.
The surprise for me is that I did not need a humidifier after all. Apparently the newer hi-efficiency furnaces don't dry the air like the old ones. I'm not about to take chances with my prized instruments but I don't want to overdo it either.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
It can be pretty dry even with the heating off. A lotta times if I open the patio door in the winter the humidifier will start up bcs the outside air is dry.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Aveno will cause clogged pours and blackheads. As an oil it is thicker than your natural skin oil. The internet says to use oils as thin or thinner than your natural skin oil. When the oil is thicker it is called being comedogenic, or to cause clogged pours and blackheads. I used Aveno and got clogged pours, then coconut oil, better but still issues, then argan oil, which is non-comdogenic.
Well, Aveeno works for me... It is a cream, not an oily ointment. I do not use it everyday.
though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts