The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Addictive Drums 2, and I've usually written my drum parts as actual notation, then pulled them into Reaper and assigned the MIDI to a VST.

I've recently started digging a little deeper and doing MIDI programming to get a bit more detail and nuance into my drum parts.

Anyone else want to share tips or experiences?

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I often start with the stock beats in EZ Drummer and then add fills with a midi pad controller.

MPD18

Sometimes I play full drum parts on the midi pad or on my Roland TD3 kit triggering EZ drummer.
I have an Akai MPK Mini that I use for tapping in fills. I need to figure out how to reassign the pads to the sounds I use most.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I use AD2 as well. I like to use the preset beats and modify them with the sequencer when I need to. I've been interested in maybe picking up a lower priced drum Pad which the AKAI MPK mini seems to be. Is it a decent unit for someone who's pretty green on this stuff?

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use AD2 as well. I like to use the preset beats and modify them with the sequencer when I need to. I've been interested in maybe picking up a lower priced drum Pad which the AKAI MPK mini seems to be. Is it a decent unit for someone who's pretty green on this stuff?
It’s a neat little unit. I haven’t really dug into reassigning the pads yeat, but the velocity sensitivity works well.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Right now I assign the drums to the computer keyboard. Works to a point. I have a mechanical key one so it's a bit touch sensitive...as far as keyboards go. Haven't done allot on it yet.

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
I did not figure out how to do it, which frustrates me to this day. Not having easy access to a metal-oriented drummer, I wish I had the willpower to learn to do it properly.

Kudos to those who can program drums. I try to get by with garage band loops for demoing ideas or noodling.

Reactions: mawmow

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Don't worry @Budda , it took a long friggin time to figure half the stuff I still don't know out. I really like the Play, Stop, and Rec. buttons. They're great additions.

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
I think I may be able to use my laptop keyboard to program drums in GB, but I haven't gotten around to testing it. I did try and make a synth thing via the keyboard with limited success.

If only my brother actually wanted to make drum tracks for me haha. He's pretty good at it.

Reactions: Dorian2
P

·
0 Posts
I did not figure out how to do it, which frustrates me to this day. Not having easy access to a metal-oriented drummer, I wish I had the willpower to learn to do it properly.

Kudos to those who can program drums. I try to get by with garage band loops for demoing ideas or noodling.
Try EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer. Best ever pricing for 1 more day.

Metal! EZX | Toontrack

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
There is a learn function in superior or ez. It's been a while but I used to trigger it with a td8 kit and it was really easy. Hit learn, the drum you want it to learn, then tap the pad you want to use. Then save your preset. Really really easy.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
@Player99 i had ezdrummer in college (and time) - still didnt figure it out.

P

·
0 Posts
@Player99 i had ezdrummer in college (and time) - still didnt figure it out.
Could you tell me what you didn't figure out? It is EZ and worth getting over the hump.

You have to make an instrument track, which is a midi track.

Then you pick EZ as the instrument for that track

From EZ you choose your drum kit

Then you go to the midi section and audition drum midi you have installed

Then drag that into the instrument track

Loop it or copy it

Continue until you have what you want

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've been learning EZ drummer as well.
So far it's the drum software I can learn the easiest and fastest.
The expansion drum pattern packs can get pricey though. I only bought a couple for the style of music I want to record for now.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Have you tried Drummer on Garageband? That seems really, really easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts