The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
I'm yet to experience it, especially since the trees in my backyard are so full and mature I'm pretty shaded from that kind of thing. Same for the yard behind me. I know I wouldn't like it though.

I was walking through Union station a few years ago and a bunch of kids in their early 20's were following me making videos on their phones. I wasn't impressed with that.

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
An idea in the works?

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Anyone so desperately bored that they find me interesting enough to spy on has my pity.

Fill yer boots.

You're not allowed to shoot them down.
You’ve shown pics of your backyard Milk, it ain’t totally boring!! Ha, ha… they might be scoping it out to raid you.

As for : you can’t shoot them! Really??

I’d bet a BB/pellet gun could wing it. Might be harder to trace where the shot came from.

My vote it the grassy knoll.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
If you know what your doing, a Red Ryder will take one down. Also, you can buy universal remotes online and hijack them and drive them into a pool.

Both options for which I entirely support and would do if I felt the need.

Nobody’s Best Buy toy is going to take precedence over the privacy and general safety of my family etc.

But for the most part, I don’t assume that I have that much privacy and I don’t think I would care if it was a kid just exploring technology innocently etc. But I think that at some point there will be a mandatory ID app that can scan drones and identify their owners location or IP or some form of accountability.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
You’ve shown pics of your backyard Milk, it ain’t totally boring!! Ha, ha… they might be scoping it out to raid you.

As for : you can’t shoot them! Really??

I’d bet a BB/pellet gun could wing it. Might be harder to trace where the shot came from.

My vote it the grassy knoll.

No it's not boring. I think my back yard is a beautiful thing, but two plants is hardly worth the charges, not to mention what could happen if I catch you doing it.

At the end of the day, I can replace anything someone else thought was worth stealing.

And I said you're not "allowed" to shoot them down. It's certainly possible.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

And I said you're not "allowed" to shoot them down. It's certainly possible.
I don't know anything about laws prohibiting you from shooting the things out of the sky if they're invading your space. Are these municipal by-laws or provincial or national?

A friend of mine, when he was employed as a groomer by a xc-ski area, caught up with the snowmobile that had been following the marked trails and, of course, ruining them. The guy was off taking a pee so Tom skied up, took out the keys and threw them into an open pond nearby. Then skied off. I don't believe he faced any repercussions.

·
Premium Member
18,683 Posts
I don't know anything about laws prohibiting you from shooting the things out of the sky if they're invading your space. Are these municipal by-laws or provincial or national?

A friend of mine, when he was employed as a groomer by a xc-ski area, caught up with the snowmobile that had been following the marked trails and, of course, ruining them. The guy was off taking a pee so Tom skied up, took out the keys and threw them into an open pond nearby. Then skied off. I don't believe he faced any repercussions.

I'm not 100% sure about jurisdiction or the specific local laws, but I can tell you that anyone seen shooting down ANYthing in this city will be visited by the local police.

People tend to have the perception of rights that really don't exist.

How many YouTube clips have we all seen where somebody is freaking out about somebody else taking video of them in a public place?

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

that sounds more like just "getting away with it" than evidence of any legalities.
we'll never know if he was reported, if police came or if your friend was even identified in order to be questioned. the guy likely knew he was in the wrong in the first place and didnt report it. Poetic justice :)

Im not sure if drones can legally be shot down or not, but in most cases, part of it will depend if you are legally allowed to fire a gun where you live in the first place. I heard through the grapevine, where i live, a neighbour fired a gun a few years ago to scare away the geese that pester everyone (our street backs on to a river) during the spring/summer. cops came and he never did it again. you cant just go firing off guns in subdivisions for the most part, for safety and noise reasons.

Thats why I would try a garden hose, then a pressure washer, then a paintball gun first. :)

Reactions: Milkman

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I foresee a market for personal security defense drone systems.

If someone flies a drone into your airspace. It seems reasonable and justified to defend accordingly.

Imagine this. Someone breaches your privacy at home or place of business etc., Your death star drone automatically heads into battle and ruthlessly destroys the enemy drone. Since you have pre-set your defendable boundaries with GPS and synced the coordinates with visual event capture software, no judge will side with the "invaders" when presented with the evidence.
You might have to post a few signs around your property, clearly stating your "no drone" trespassing policy and "not responsible for..."

After you address and support the legal details..., bring it on, drone boy...

Darth has a prepared a special welcome for you.

·
Premium Member
11,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I keep thinking some sort of aimed EMP device would work, but prob escalate into an arms race between the drone makers and EMP makers with both of them profiting.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
The geek in me would love to own one, but they sure can be pests. Our neighbourhood has enough mature trees that I've never seen one locally, but I've seen them in newer neighbourhoods and would definitely be bothered - the noise would be more bothersome to me than any privacy issues but I can certainly see how that would be an issue too.

I was at an outdoor concert once where a videographer was using one to document the event - if it wasn't a free concert, I would have asked for my money back - the concert wasn't quiet, both the drone was still distractingly audible (and out of tune!).

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
I got no use for them. Others may enjoy the toy/tool, that's OK as long as they are being responsible. I find they don't only have the name "drone", but they do it also. That's a bit annoying, but, like a mosquito, if you hear it you know it's around, when the noise stops, that's when you have to worry. If they made silent drones, well, there are a lot of privacy implications that come with that.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts