The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, someone on my community FB page complained angrily about a drone flying over their backyard.
How would you feel? What would you do? Do we have a right to the air over our property?

keep in mind, I live in a suburb, not rural Montana, so "taking out the ol' 12ga" wouldnt go over here in the land of 50' lots, school buses and pizza delivery.

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
I fucking hate it. Every now and again some dumbass child flies one around here. I live at a resort where lots of bikinis are worn, so it's inappropriate, because you know they are spying.

Almost every time, I have no idea who's operating them.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
A couple of years ago I was working on a roof cleaning troughs and one kept hovering above and around me, sometimes within 8 feet of me. I’m doing what could be potentially dangerous work and some asshat wants to distract me? I wanted to jam it right up his ass. I refused to look at it, hoping he would get bored. After about 20 minutes it left. After I was done I found the culprit. Some old guy next door. Dude is your life so empty that watching me shovel muck out of a trough is entertainment? Fucking loser!

·
Premium Member
26,341 Posts
People have flown RC airplanes as a hobby for several generations, now. Heck, a great many "hobby" stores focus on RC airplane hobbyists as their principal client. The trouble with drones is that, unlike airplanes which have to keep moving and thus require the sort of space that a large park or field provides, drones can hover, enabling them to be flown in much smaller spaces where RC planes cannot go. Many drone owners have plenty of good reason to hover them over their own property (e.g., what is on my roof and what shape is my roof in?), and it is also kinda neat to see one's neighbourhood from a bird's eye view (wow, nice garden; I wish mine was that nice and bountiful). The film industry has benefited tremendously from drones. Some here may remember SCTV character Johnny LaRue's dream of "a crane shot". Drones have made crane shots available to even the lowest low-budget movie-maker.

That said, it is equally undeniable that some folks view drones as an opportunity to have a hobby as peeping Tom rather than neighbour. The challenge is developing regulations that penalize peeping toms, whilst permitting helpful non-invasive uses. I hasten to add that not all drones are equally silent. We have a schoolyard behind us, large enough to fly RC airplanes, but I'd lodge a complaint with the police if I had to listen to a buzz-saw noise all day or while I'm trying to enjoy a quiet evening, whether it was a craft that could or couldn't hover.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would like air access to be treated like sub-surface soil access.
I farm some land and I can (within some limits) do what I like on the surface of my property at my discretion and I can prevent others from digging around on my land or using it in other ways or even setting foot on it at all unless they have certain specific reasons for being there. Not all areas are like that and in some places it's OK for people to pass through private property but not linger there, take anything, do anything, and so on. It's OK as long as they keep moving along established trails.
Drones the same way. Set a ceiling below which they may not operate - 300' seems reasonable to me - and above that they need to keep moving like any other aircraft would. If somebody hovered over my house with a helicopter I would be concerned and call law enforcement but if they fly over on their way to somewhere else I can live with it.
Would I shoot a drone down? Probably not although I can imagine a situation where it would be tempting. But if one was flying close enough to the surface of my property or a jobsite that I could throw something at it and knock it down I certainly would do that.
j

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,254 Posts
With the proper gear you could scan and determine the operating frequency that the transmitter was operating on and trace back to the source of transmission, but thats about all you could do without special licencing; reporting it to the authorities may show results however, that could be as effective as farting up a dead horses arse.
Drones weighing between 250 grams and 25 kilograms must be registered with Transport Canada and marked with a registration number. Drones under 250 grams do not need to be registered.

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you think backyard voyeurs are a nuisance, these 'droners' have interfered with wildfire air support here, forcing grounding more than once in a couple of hot zones in the last week. ...takes a special kind of idiot to do something that stupid.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
Could one fly their drone, or balloon, or kite or rocket, or nerf gun bullet, over their property "accidentally" interfering with the trespassing drone?

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
There was an article in the local paper about a condo owner in Calabogie Ont that is complaining his neighbour's door camera and house surveillance system can record his conversations. Apparently it's too bad, but that's the way it is. The local municipality is investigating though.

·
Premium Member
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could one fly their drone, or balloon, or kite or rocket, or nerf gun bullet, over their property "accidentally" interfering with the trespassing drone?
maybe one of those things that shoots tennis balls for dogs to fetch? the upset lady I referred to in the OP says she will use a BB gun next time...but i laughed to myself at the odds of her hitting anything with one. I'd start with a pressure washer first, maybe a paintball gun.

·
Premium Member
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I fucking hate it. Every now and again some dumbass child flies one around here. I live at a resort where lots of bikinis are worn, so it's inappropriate, because you know they are spying.

Almost every time, I have no idea who's operating them.
Thats so tacky.

i'd send in a cat with a go-pro strapped to its head instead.

·
Premium Member
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone so desperately bored that they find me interesting enough to spy on has my pity.

Fill yer boots.

You're not allowed to shoot them down.
you wouldnt worry about them maybe looking to steal your stash (or something else)?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts