The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Which pi$$es you off the most

• Speeders

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Drivers who don't signal and change lanes erratically

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Left Lane bandits (slow drivers in the left lane)

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Distracted drivers (cell phone, ciggarette et cetera)

Votes: 14 36.8%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My opinion is that aggressive drivers and left lane bandits are the biggest pains.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've got issues with most of these. I voted for the lane changers with no signal since it's downright dangerous.
My biggest gripe is people who continue to make left turns against a traffic light that's already red. Not just the first in line, but the 3 that follow them.
Toronto has red light cameras. I'm not worried about getting a ticket, I'm worried about getting T-boned by some idiot who just can't wait for the next green light and is either bombing through or making a left turn when the light is red. end of my rant.

C

·
0 Posts
A couple of years ago, I saw a paint developed with a nano-tech component...
It was laced with components that when 'powered' aligned to form a Faraday Cage. The practical application would be in places like say a movie theatre, so that when the movie started the structure would block all cell/pager signals in or out. The first best place to implement this technology is in any and all vehicles so that when the vehicle is in motion such signals are blocked.

Studies have been done (And I don't just mean by goofy tv shows) that indicate that you're better off driving drunk than on you cellphone... Hands-free or not.

Of course the element responsible for the vast majority of vehicle incidents is the one that sits behind the steering wheel.... The sooner we can remove that component, the better.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
What I don't get is the folks driving using iPod's ect. I guess I realize that driving with very loud tunes amounts to the same thing.. But I just don't get that. I know it would make me very distracted. Just changing the stations on sat radio is distracting enough!

Happy Friday!:D

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of years ago, I saw a paint developed with a nano-tech component...
It was laced with components that when 'powered' aligned to form a Faraday Cage. The practical application would be in places like say a movie theatre, so that when the movie started the structure would block all cell/pager signals in or out. The first best place to implement this technology is in any and all vehicles so that when the vehicle is in motion such signals are blocked.

Studies have been done (And I don't just mean by goofy tv shows) that indicate that you're better off driving drunk than on you cellphone... Hands-free or not.

Of course the element responsible for the vast majority of vehicle incidents is the one that sits behind the steering wheel.... The sooner we can remove that component, the better.

I find it strange that talking hands free would be anywhere close to as dangerous as hend held.

If you're able to talk to the person in the passenger seat......

You would have to ban all conversations in cars to eliminate that distraction altogether.

I think hands free should be the law.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't find it strange. When you're talking to a person in the passenger seat, they are taking in all the same information about the surroundings that you are. Sure, it's possible to get distracted during a in-car conversation, but you actually have two sets of eyes watching what is going on. If you are about to hit something or begin to do something stupid because you are distracted, often the passenger will pick up on that and say something.

Talking on a cellphone doesn't just lack that second set of eyes - it actually is worse than a single set of eyes. No matter what is going on in front of you, the person on the cel phone can't see it and will keep talking as if there's no issue. Subconsciously, that gives you a false sense of reassurance that your driving is fine, even when it isn't. That applies to hand-on or hands-free.

Ok well I guess that makes sense. I will admit that when I talk on the phone (rarely) while driving I often realize after hanging up that I wasn't fully aware of where I was until I hung up. I mean to say that all of a sudden I realize that I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been.

Point conceded.

C

·
0 Posts
" If you're able to talk to the person in the passenger seat......"
Also we are trained from very early that when we're "on the phone" we are to pay attention to that to the exclusion of all else. The same is NOT the case for face-to-face (Or even side-by-side) conversations.... So even talking hands-free is WAY more absorbing, and so, distracting and dangerous than taking to a passenger.

The law, when you're driving needs to be, hang up the FKING phone and DRIVE!

"all of a sudden I realize that I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been"
And that's how people get killed.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
" If you're able to talk to the person in the passenger seat......"
Also we are trained from very early that when we're "on the phone" we are to pay attention to that to the exclusion of all else. The same is NOT the case for face-to-face (Or even side-by-side) conversations.... So even talking hands-free is WAY more absorbing, and so, distracting and dangerous than taking to a passenger.

The law, when you're driving needs to be, hang up the FKING phone and DRIVE!

"all of a sudden I realize that I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been"
And that's how people get killed.

Easy big fella.

As I said I rarely talk and drive. I never make calls and generally dont take them.
Additionally I would say that I'm less distracted than many people who AREN't on the phone.

I do a lot of driving and although most people would say the same, I'm not a part of the problem. In fact for longer business drives, the guys I travel with prefer it if I drive.

Also, have you ever noticed that MANY people seem unable to talk to the person in the passenger seat without looking at them?

Tell me THAT's not more dangerous than hands free cell phone use. At least I'm looking.

C

·
0 Posts
"I rarely talk and drive"
All it takes is once.... You may as well say "I rarely drive drunk" as justification.

"I do a lot of driving"
Overconfidence is one of the major "Driver Error" factors.

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"I rarely talk and drive"
All it takes is once.... You may as well say "I rarely drive drunk" as justification.

"I do a lot of driving"
Overconfidence is one of the major "Driver Error" factors.

Man when you get the bit in your teeth.....

C

·
0 Posts
What's the matter Milkman? Truth hurt?

"do retarded stuff like going reverse on a highway"
+1!

·
Premium Member
16,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's the matter Milkman? Truth hurt?

"do retarded stuff like going reverse on a highway"
+1!
Perhaps you should take a look at yourself. I'm sorry to be the one to point this out to you, but if you're even close to as perfect a human being as one would gather from your constant barage of critical and negative posts, we should all pause and offer a prayer.:bow:

BTW, the link to your site doesn't seem to work.

C

·
0 Posts
Don't pray to me... I'm not about to be responsible for you or your life.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What really bugs me where I live is no one lets you in when you signal your lane change intentions. As soon as you turn on your signal....the jerk/jerkette in that lane speeds the hell up.
I ALWAYS let anyone in ahead of me when they need a lane change....it just makes traffic flow sense.
It's not a race out there....I drive to get to where I'm going....I don't drive like I need to get there first.

C

·
0 Posts
"your omnipotence"
I don't think I ever claimed to possess any such thing, but I can see how, when compared to some, it could seem like I do.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts