The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little rant... I consider myself lucky as I am at walking distance from work (30' each way). I really enjoy being outside during the winter, I find it better for acclimation, and there's nothing like a brisk sunny day in my opinion! I also keep running through the winter, for the same reasons.

The big issue is when things start to melt. A good example is the last few days, with the mild temperatures and thawing, we have quite a few puddles around town.

You can be sure that at least twice a day I get splashed by cars. Oftentimes it's a distracted driver who is doing something else while driving (lots of people texting...), or a person who just don't think that car + puddle + speed = splashing. Sometimes I suspect that some people just do that on purpose (I had an obvious one yesterday during a run, the guy was driving in the middle of the road with his truck and swerved into a puddle when he was passing me).

I'm not doing the passing-aggressive thing anymore, it probably won't solve anything anyway... I'd wish that this would be ticketed.. It looks like putting their $$ at risk is the only way to get people attention..

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Technically, and this a very archaic law, but there is a civil remedy for car-splashing a person on the sidewalk and it's a legit lawsuit. Learned about it in a law course I took a while back and I don't remember the details other than nobody's botherred to use it for ages cuz generally not worth the time and money.

What's really surprising is how few fucks are given by city bus drivers; that was the last vehicle to splash me. I even tried to move away as it passed, but too big (both t he bus and puddle).

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
17,190 Posts
I try not to splash pedestrians. My car is also small and hydroplanes easily.

People who intentionally soak pedestrians deserve their bad karma.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
I don't think most do it intentionally; it's more of a not caring enough to pay attention and avoid it.

·
Registered
24,711 Posts
Some of the puddle volume is a result of unfilled potholes. Of course, that only provides the ammunition, and does not justify pulling the trigger. The trigger tends to be a result of driving too fast to be able to integrate the relevant information. If it's a lazy residential street, a period other than rush hour, and the driver is the singular vehicle, there is considerably less risk of getting splashed, because they are afforded the time to look ahead, see you, see the puddle, and pull over a bit. That doesn't man they won't be distracted by thoughts, conversation, or what's on the car speakers, which is why I say "less risk". If it's a busy thoroughfare, the driver trying to negotiate their spot in the lane, amidst a bunch of other drivers vying for their spot, and doing so at speeds higher than school zone, it's unlikely you'll come out of it dry.

That a) does not put any blame on the pedestrian, or b) absolve the driver. But it does highlight the conditions that are most likely to result in getting soaked. I'm not sure there is much that can be done about prevailing driving speeds or volume of vehicles zipping around. We can, of course, encourage City Hall to get those sorts of potholes or water-gathering dips filled first. That is, if its a choice between filling potholes by the centre median or filling those by the sidewalk, do the sidewalk ones first, because they not only affect cars but pedestrians too.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
A lot of people get into their car bubble and the outside world becomes secondary. I do my best to avoid splashing pedestrians when I drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts