The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried a set of these DR strings on my 6120 Gretsch with a Compton bridge. Intonation problems galore and dull sound. Replaced tonight with a set of Slinky’s and everything is back to normal , she sounds great again.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a friend of mine raves about DR strings so I tried the DR Blues. Constant string breakage (DR to their credit sent me replacements in response to my complaint) and they never really felt comfortable. So I switched to Rotosound RotoBlues. What wonderful difference. No string breakage and play very comfortably.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
I've only used them on my acoustic guitar shaped octave mandolin/bouzouki/mando-cello thing. It takes two sets to get the right gauges and I had a few sets of red coated acoustic DRs from a client. They've been a good string, long lasting, and good sounding. I'm strung up with the last ones now so I'll likely go back to the D'Addarios that I buy in bulk. I don't remember using them on other instruments.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I tried the coated ones because I thought they looked neat. The coating actually increases the diameter of the string and of course, my high E came out of the string groove on the bridge on my SG and fell between the bridge slots, laying flat on the fret board. This happened at a gig while I was playing a solo and I didn't realize what happened other than my guitar just made a plink plink noise for every note of the solo on that string. It made me sound like Nick Jonas, so no, I am not a fan of DR strings. They came off right away when I got home and I won't use them again, not even if they are free.

·
Premium Member
13,084 Posts
I've heard about the intonation problems from a luthier at the Acoustic Music Shop here in Edmonton, but I have not experienced that. I've mostly used DR Pure Blues over the last 10 years. The 9-46 set works very well on my strat.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I used the DR Tite fit 10-46 for a while on my parts Tele. I enjoyed the feel of them and they sounded really good, but I’ve been a recent covert to the Ernie Ball Paradigm stuff for my electrics.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I used DR strings blue peacock and also the black beauties for quite a while a few years ago and I liked them a lot, but I did have issues with sets of strings that were basically DOA; they sounded dull brand new. DR customer support was great and they sent me replacement sets, but after buying yet a few more sets that sounded dull out of the box I switched to Elixir coated strings and never had any problem since.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
I used DR Tite-fits for a decade or so, until the $CDN went down and my guy said they were too expensive for him to bring in anymore. I could buy them somewhere else but he gives me really good deals.

Now I use GHS boomers, but that could change next time I buy a bunch. The only brand I will not use is D'Addario. I had quite a few bad sets before I switch to DR's and now, with all the choice, I won't bother giving them another chance. Not to mention the god-awful ball-ends.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
I used DR Tite-fits for a decade or so, until the $CDN went down and my guy said they were too expensive for him to bring in anymore. I could buy them somewhere else but he gives me really good deals.

Now I use GHS boomers, but that could change next time I buy a bunch. The only brand I will not use is D'Addario. I had quite a few bad sets before I switch to DR's and now, with all the choice, I won't bother giving them another chance. Not to mention the god-awful ball-ends.
when I was a kid, it always seemd like the stores would push Daddario on me...they always sounded/felt dead to me.
Boomers or slinkys for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts