The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of these in 11s for the Hamer P90 Special. There were D'Áddario 10s on it when I bought it. I find I prefer the 11s on this guitar. The Pure Blues are also All Nickel which is supposed to give them a little more warmth with less brightness. The difference was slight but noticable. The pickups, Seymour Duncan SP90-2n and SP90-3b, are very hot. It seemed to remove a bit of harshness from these pups - I changed them one at a time and compared the tone the D'Addario still on .

I'm in the process of getting amp and pedals. Once I have those, I figure out what I want to do with the pups.

I also have a MIJ Epi Riviera with Gibson Classic '57s. These have AlNiCo 2 magnets, so I don't think I'll use the Pure Blues on this Pickups are a smoother PAFish already.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been trying out EB "Rock 'n Roll" strings (9 - 42), just a model name for EB's nickel strings, and in comparison to the regular Slinkys, I find I like a lot about the nickel strings. They seem to have different harmonic characteristics, in a good way - somehow more rich in the midrange. I didn't notice much of a reduction in highs, I almost feel the regular alloy strings are a bit more scooped in the mids, by comparison.

I'm going to stick with the nickels for a while - the problem being that most dealers don't stock the EB nickel strings, so they have to be special-ordered.

Brian

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian G said:
I'm going to stick with the nickels for a while - the problem being that most dealers don't stock the EB nickel strings, so they have to be special-ordered.

Brian
I was at L&M's main store in Toronto. The DRs were the only nickels they stocked. I think GHS has nickels too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts