The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best place for downloading music legally? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
ITunes Store, so it’s backed up if your hard drive dies.
Or the public library still has cds.

Sent from my other brain.

Reactions: Steadfastly

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
We have an Apple music account. Works ok and is very reasonable for a family. I think we pay $15 per month. As far as I know, there are no download limits.

I have stumped it once or twice tho with some rather obscure searches.

Also I do believe, of the streaming services available, Apple's payout to artists is on the higher side compared to Youtube and some others.

·
Administrator
15,977 Posts
The only stuff I download is things the band is working on, so very few. I usually try to find a youtube video and convert to mp3 with one of the free converters.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,108 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
We have an Apple music account. Works ok and is very reasonable for a family. I think we pay $15 per month. As far as I know, there are no download limits.

I have stumped it once or twice tho with some rather obscure searches.

Also I do believe, of the streaming services available, Apple's payout to artists is on the higher side compared to Youtube and some others.
Google music is similar in concept and cost.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The YouTube to MP3 converter is down, I think due to a lawsuit. I mostly use the library now that I can order them from other branches. Selection is limited however. I'm rural and I don't think the county's selection is nearly as modern as it is in the city.

That or I buy used or borrow. About all I buy new are new releases, or stuff I can't get otherwise.

I know, I'm not helping the artists that much...

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I'd never pay for a cheap quality audio file

I still buy CDs and burn the audio to my standards
Still lots of used CD stores that are fun to browse where I'm from
And Amazon has lots of sellers that sell CDs for cheap, shipped to your door, cheaper than paying 1$ a song (and albums need to be listened to from start to finish IMO)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Some hi-res download sites, 7digital, HDtracks, ProStudioMasters.

bandcamp has some hi-res files, but I don't know how you would find them.

I bought an iTunes album once, never again, those lossy formats are horrible. They should sell lossless files.

I've got a thousand CDs I've ripped to WMA lossless. CDs are cheap and plentiful!

I've been buying hi-res music lately, mostly Bluray Audio discs, a couple of DVD Audio discs. Too bad those formats went nowhere. I also bought a few select SACDs.

I bought a few hi-res files from Pono, not sure what would happen if I lose the files now. It's better to have a physical copy, but I guess that's not going to be viable in the future. That's a problem.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
iTunes, Google Play store, and Spotify will be the main ones.
Thanks, I never even thought of Google Play. I've only ever used it for downloading some apps.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
For anyone who cares, the top paying sites per stream according to Forbes are:

Napster - $0.0167
Tidal - $0.0110
Apple Music - $0.0064
Google Play - $0.0059
Deezer - $0.0056
Spotify - $0.0038
Pandora - $0.0011
YouTube - $0.0006