The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here play a doubleneck? I've been thinking of getting one, but just not sure how much I'd use the 12 string side of things, as alot of what I play is hard rock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ripper said:
Anyone here play a doubleneck? I've been thinking of getting one, but just not sure how much I'd use the 12 string side of things, as alot of what I play is hard rock.
I've wanted one since I saw pictures of Alex and Geddy both rockin' it up wearing double-necks. Then I saw Rik Emmett playing one, then Gordie Johnson...

Oh, and that Page dude, also. :D

Don't any american guitarists play a double-neck?

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
Killick said:
Don't any American guitarists play a double-neck?
I don't think so. It would confuse them too much. :wink:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Killick said:
Don't any american guitarists play a double-neck?
Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick, 5 necks!! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Or did you mean this style?

:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geez I was just thinking of two necks. We opened for Grady this summer and watching Gordy play his got me thinking about whether or not one would be viable for stage use.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ripper said:
Geez I was just thinking of two necks. We opened for Grady this summer and watching Gordy play his got me thinking about whether or not one would be viable for stage use.
I guess that's a question only you can answer. Do you play a lot of material where you need a 6 and 12 in the same song? Stage use is the only practical use for a doubleneck that I can see.

Personally, I think multineck guitars are novelty items. I'm sure tone is sacrificed for looks in many cases. I'd rather lug 5 great sounding guitars than one 5-necked tone turd. Even Page only used the doubleneck for live shows, he didn't record Stairway to Heaven with it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it's strictly a stage thing for sure. We don't play anything right now requiring a 12 string. I'm going to borrow one off a fellow I know and play around and see if it is anything I might consider using on a more permanent basis.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've never played one, but I bet they're heavy. And really more of an onstage/visual thing for sure.

Still want one, tho. Rickerbacker 6&4 string, please.
And a Stick.

In Batio's case, who else but him can play an Opposite four-necker? I sometimes wonder if he's like Rain Man? Gifted with physical co-ordination, but unable to balance a check-book? By all accounts he's a pretty funny guy...

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I bought a double neck white Ibanez back in 1981 while I was stationed in Kingston, Ontario. Had the choice at 650 dollars of it and a late 70's cherry sunburst les paul deluxe with serious buckle rash.Still kicking myself over picking the double neck. It was a total pain. You have to stand up to play it and it is very very awkward. It is pretty much a show guitar. It sounded pretty good but was too difficult to play because of the issues I mentioned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts