The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I am really struggling to have double sided tape hold my templates to my body blanks... can anyone recommend a good brand? What do you all use? I have tried a 3M Scotch brand, as well as a thicker Gorilla brand, but they just don't seem to hold well...

I was considering double sided carpet tape, as something tells me I have wrestled with this stuff in the past... just trying not to destroy my templates though.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I use the 3M Scotch brand carpet tape and it works really well. One tip is always put green painters tape down on both surfaces first. I would screw where you can but the double sided carpet tape works very well for me. I am using it mostly in my CNC machine now. You could also try CA glue with the green painters tape on both sides. Apparently that works well also and would be cheaper, I guess. I tried it a couple of times and I don't think I used enough or didn't wait long enough. I don't have activator, which may also have been an issue.

What problems have you had with the other double sided tape?

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
This is the double face tape I use exclusively. I believe it is meant to hold down replaceable flooring in commercial buildings, but it sure works well for templates.
Tesa Tape.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
I've gotten into trouble a few times by using too much tape. Ending up damaging either the template or the blank trying to pry the template off. My pieces get smaller all the time and I've never had a template held on with tape move on me yet.

For example - this is lots.

Billy-Bo Blank.jpg

This blank was cut on the bandsaw, and I was just getting ready to mount the template for routing the outside edges. This much tape is rock solid - and yet still removable without destroying things.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I've gotten into trouble a few times by using too much tape. Ending up damaging either the template or the blank trying to pry the template off. My pieces get smaller all the time and I've never had a template held on with tape move on me yet.

For example - this is lots.

View attachment 232092

This blank was cut on the bandsaw, and I was just getting ready to mount the template for routing the outside edges. This much tape is rock solid - and yet still removable without destroying things.

I had major problems trying to get the tape off. Then I started taping both surfaces with green painters tape first then the thin carpet tape. Works great and if you over hang the green tape you can pull it off quite easily. It's side to side strength is super solid but pulls straight up easily.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Put down a piece of masking tape on both parts. Use CA glue to glue the masking tape on the non glued side Spray accelerator on the other non glued side. Stick the two pieces together, Press hard and hold. Do your routing. Peel the masking tape when done. No tear out of the wood as masking tape is very mild.

Reactions: Lincoln

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
This is what I was talking about as well. I have had issues with trying this. Probably not enough glue down and no accelerator. I find the double face carpet tape a better solution. I would hate the CA glue to seep through the tape. I should actually try it again.

Cheers Peter.

PS - green painters tape works like masking tape and easier to find in all different widths at Home Depots.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use the 3M Scotch brand carpet tape and it works really well. One tip is always put green painters tape down on both surfaces first. I would screw where you can but the double sided carpet tape works very well for me. I am using it mostly in my CNC machine now. You could also try CA glue with the green painters tape on both sides. Apparently that works well also and would be cheaper, I guess. I tried it a couple of times and I don't think I used enough or didn't wait long enough. I don't have activator, which may also have been an issue.

What problems have you had with the other double sided tape?

Cheers Peter.
I find the templates slip (the Gorilla and 3M brands I tried were thicker tapes, as well, which may have been the issue)... though, I did purchase carpet tape last night, and it works quite well... as long as I put down the green painters tape first!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone for the tips! I purchased double sided carpet tape last night, and that worked quite well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts