The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what's inside the Double Muff NANO?

i.e.,

- did they mess with the original 4 transistor circuit at all?
- is the box grounded negative?

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
The Double Muff is two silicon Fuzz Face circuits in series. Everything in there is available in surface-mount form, so I would imagine nothing needed to be changed for the Nano version. I'd go on about a number of very interesting mods that can be done with it, but sussing out what parts are where in a surface-mount pedal is a real bear.

But here's what I did with an uber-modded clone I made.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Just a question. Is this the two knob w/toggle pedal? If so, is it the same as the the nano muff overdrive?

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a question. Is this the two knob w/toggle pedal? If so, is it the same as the the nano muff overdrive?
Yup, 2 knobs + toggle.
The Double Muff (old full-size or new nano 'regular' size) is not the same circuit as a Big Muff / Big Muff Nano; quite different actually.
They each lend themselves to quite different mods too - each very malleable.
I love playing through my modded Double Muff so much I want to sell it and downsize to a modded Double Muff Nano to keep on my board; hence my question here.
(I'm not going to do it if the circuits are not nearly identical.)

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
The Big Muff Pi and its baby brother, the Little Muff, were, and remain, different beasts from the Muff Fuzz and Double Muff, even though there were historically different versions of each.

Just as there was an op-amp Big Muff, there was also an op-amp Muff Fuzz. However, the "classic" Muff Fuzz was essentially a silicon Fuzz Face structure, with a fixed gain, and a pair of clipping diodes on the output to give a little more edge. The Double Muff simply sticks two in series, with a switch to back down to only one. Both subcircuits have the same gain and structure, except that the first one in seriesx shaves off a teensy bit of top end to compensate for the fact it will be reclipped. When in series, the output level of the first one serves as a sort of drive-sensitivity for the second one.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In case there was any confusion re the muffs in question -

Double Muff large box vs Double Muff nano

Happy New Year all around!

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This may be the first ever Double Muff Nano gut shot!
Well, 'gut scan' to be more accurate...

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Big Muff Pi and its baby brother, the Little Muff, were, and remain, different beasts from the Muff Fuzz and Double Muff, even though there were historically different versions of each.
i.e.,

• the Big Muff Pi is a completely different circuit from the Muff Fuzz; unrelated
  • the Muff Fuzz is basically a Si Fuzz Face
  • the Double Muff is basically 2 Muff Fuzz circuits in series

1 - 13 of 13 Posts