The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just poking around on the Dot on Shaft site. Some interesting guitars there. What's the deal with these guys? I see a lot of their stuff on eBay lately.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
They are Indonesian guitars. I dont want to say anything more than that..........

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Emohawk said:
Hey all,

Just poking around on the Dot on Shaft site. Some interesting guitars there. What's the deal with these guys? I see a lot of their stuff on eBay lately.
This is a guy out of London, Ontario. I have spoken with him a few times. Most of what he is selling is being made in Korea. I beleive a few models are coming out of China (maybe). He will tell you straight up though where he is getting them made. I have not tried one nor seen one in person yet. So my personal review is nada at this point.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
You are correct sir.. but thats one of the lines I was talking about. I am sure he told me he has a Korean supplier for the others. The ones that he has his logo on. I am not pushing them by any means, I have never seen one. I also have no affiliation with the company either. But just to be on the fair side I would check it out with him if anyone is interested in something they see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Dotster

hello,

just poking in, and I see and appreciate people talkin about Dot On Shaft. I'm not here for a commercial, but just to put it straight. Im a Canadian Company. Small time, looking to bring to Canada a new variety of guitars for the long term. Yes the Marliques are made in Indonesia but what does that mean? All the components are not from Indonesia. Try getting the Tesla Pickups, made in Korea for example. Anyhow, I'll say this, the Highest priced guitars are Japanese Hand Made, then comes the Koreans say from 999-500price then under that is China made. (but Korean Owned factory) I'm proud to be Canadian and appreciate your support, comments, questions or concerns. It took me over a year and many many Samples to choose the Best of each country I do business with. If anybody has any questions relating to Dot On Shaft I'm always happy to help. I'm looking to expand for any entrepreneurs out there.........

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have seen a Dot on Shaftguitar once...wasnt exactly paying any true attention at the time but it seemed to sound of good quality when the guy I saw was playing it. I would have to agree though, not all great guitars are domestic. And just because they are made in Indonesia doesnt mean that they have crap quality.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi DOS.:wave:

I'll keep my mouth shut on this topic.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would have to agree with the above statement but also, they need more tune-o-matic stuff that has 24 frets on a 25.5" scale neck. Especially with dual hums and a crazy good look. Id go right for the snooker V if it was like that. But I gotta say something about the Tesla pickups. Nice coils. Please ge the referance.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Dot on Shaft guitars...

I took a chance and picked up the 7 string model about a month ago from eBay. It's actually a really well made guitar, only needed a few minor setup adjustments. Within a couple weeks, I decided to pickup another Dot on Shaft, the May-Eye model. I like this one even more, it was perfect right out of the box. Both guitars are from a Korean OEM manufacturer (from what I've read, it's the same factory some Epiphones are made in). I'm really happy with both and Mike's a great guy to deal with. Here's a shot of my May-Eye:

·
Premium Member
13,022 Posts
Nice. How does it sound. A clip would be nice.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
jcon said:
wow. You'd better watch out, I'm gonna steal that guitar.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Robert1950 said:
Nice. How does it sound. A clip would be nice.
Sorry, no sound clip at the moment. Compared to my Gibson ES137, it sounds a little brighter/flatter - doesn't have the fat, jazzy tone of the Gibson. It seems more geared towards a classic rock sound (which is fine with me).
I've only had it for 5 days and there may be a pickup swap in it's future, but for now I'm really pleased with it as is it. Plus, it sure looks purdy :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Indo-korean guitars

Hey guys, what does it matter where the axe is made. Fender sure has no problem chugging out their wares in Mexico.

I applaud Dot on Shaft for sourcing new and interesting suppliers and manufacturers. Their Stradette line looks like the skeletal remains of real Strat. Way cool.

Those only buying guitars based on where they are made need to open their minds and ears. While the quality of the top American brands have declined, the indo-pacific countries have stepped it up and built some smokin' lookin' and sounding guitars.

And MikeyMike......I love the Big H. Always wanted a Hofner....for obvious reasons. Now it just may happen for me.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Alot of people wont buy products from Indonesia for political reasons. And they are very good reasons.....................

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Granted this is true. but if we were to not buy any products made in these contries, the world would stop spinning. There is no stopping the big companies from utilizing that labour. Ot at least there is no political will to stop them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts