The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, were your behavior and thoughts good enough throughout 2018 ?
What do you expect Santa to leave under the fir tree for you ?

Me ? Did have strong opinions, but did no wrong to anybody...
I did get more than enough (guitars) this Fall, so that
I honestly expect nothing special under the Xmas tree.
O.K. ! I postponed a wish or two until next Spring... ;-)

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Maggs pitched in toward my Taylor 414ce purchase so I'm not expecting anything from her beyond some socks or strings. My kids will get me a couple blu-rays and a bottle or two. I have a friend who got an LP goldtop last year and a J-200 the year before, so his tree may be a little more interesting than mine ...............................

·
Registered
345 Posts
As usual, I expect nothing special.

Last night, I was chatting with the owner of a water distiller that I frequent. I told him I wish Santa would make all these bleeding road constructions in Montreal complete before NYE. Ain't gonna happen, I know.

Another wish would be the safe release of the two Canadians currently detained in China. Actually, if I could have only one wish, this would be it.

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
i won't get much for christmas this year, because my kids are poor, like most kids. i'm ok with it. when i was married, i got shitty gifts every year, and it drove me up the wall, because i got them great stuff. of course the very second i informed them i was getting them nothing for christmas, i was somehow the asshole. go figure

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
At this point, my biggest wish is that my grandmother doesn't end up in the hospital before Christmas. She's awaiting test results as we speak. Christmas Eve was always been a big thing at her house, for our whole big ass family. Spending potentially her last Christmas eve in a hospital bed would destroy her.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I always have to ask them actually beg them not to get me anything and waste money if I want it I go and buy it and have a need to purge stuff lately that we no longer use or have any need for after many years of owning far to many guitars well slowly and surely and don't call me Shirley playing has become difficult so the grand kids have inherited some of my toys and I will keep my fav a Washburn D-2003S limited and noodle with it as long as I can and just enjoy christmas with those cute little buggers
I would like to wish everyone including those who think I am stupid a merry christmas and do try to keep an open mind sometimes you don't have to be right about everything

·
Premium Member
11,879 Posts
I hope I get what I asked for - NOTHING.

I think Xmas has become a holiday invented by retailers so people give and receive shit they don't really want or need. Most retailers don't even hit the black until the Xmas shopping craziness occurs. That tells me a lot. Similar to how Valentines seems to be invented by Hallmark. We are so gullible.

My SO and I exchange nice nights out. A nice restaurant, maybe a hotel room. something special. That's what I appreciate for a present, not another fricken piece of hardware that, if I wanted or needed, I would have already gone out and bought.

I also like getting together with family, enjoying good food and good company. That's what it's about for me now. That, and watching the best hockey we get to see every year. Go CANADA!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
My wife and I don't give each other presents. We do something together. This year we bought tickets to see Sixto Rodriguez. He's old, blind, and probably nowhere near as good as he was in his prime but we both enjoy his music and want to see him live before he is gone.

·
Registered
12,269 Posts
I hope I get what I asked for - NOTHING.

I think Xmas has become a holiday invented by retailers so people give and receive shit they don't really want or need. Most retailers don't even hit the black until the Xmas shopping craziness occurs. That tells me a lot. Similar to how Valentines seems to be invented by Hallmark. We are so gullible.

My SO and I exchange nice nights out. A nice restaurant, maybe a hotel room. something special. That's what I appreciate for a present, not another fricken piece of hardware that, if I wanted or needed, I would have already gone out and bought.

I also like getting together with family, enjoying good food and good company. That's what it's about for me now. That, and watching the best hockey we get to see every year. Go CANADA!!!!

i mostly agree with you on this. it's why i try to buy things with the intent of enhancing some aspect of the receiver's life/lifestyle. i try to stick to a rule of "something they might like but would not buy for themselves." for example, this year i bought a friend a set of pugeot salt & pepper grinders. do they need them? no. they are fine with the disposable grocery store ones they currently use.
however, these i bought them are more attractive, easier to use, and lifetime guaranteed. i know they'll get a better grind, and with more comfort, for the rest of their lives. every meal they eat will now be just a tiny bit better than it was before.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts