The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
When I play without a pick I use a style very similar to his picking style. But that is where the similarities in our playing end....................

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Great Sumlin tones!

A very entertaining and informative video.

Hubert Sumlin played in Cambridge, Ontario a few years ago and I missed seeing him. That is certainly one show I regret not seeing.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
If there are any Leafs fans here, and I am looking at you colchar, he looks like Dart Guy's son. Dart Guy became famous last year during the first round match up between the Leafs and Caps.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
out of phase pickups is an acquired taste....
certainly not for me.
G.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
out of phase pickups is an acquired taste....
certainly not for me.
G.
FWIW I've had Les Pauls that were wired out of phase (a la Jimmy Page) & magnetically out of phase (the polarity of the magnet in the neck pickup is reversed) and there is a difference. That hollow, honky Peter Green magic only happens when the volumes of the magnetically out of phase pickups "pass each other in the night" - - bridge at 9 & neck at 8.5, etc. A slight adjustment makes a big difference in the tone, but the volumes of the respective pickups need to be close to each other.

The other nice aspect of the magnetically out of phase setup is that there is no change to the tone of the individual pickups.

·
Premium Member
8,484 Posts
Definitely important. Not a fan of this tone (tinny and thin to my ears - could also be youtube to a degree), but I know some people do like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts