The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,278 Posts
If you're me, and those glasses are from the dollar store, it makes you look like you're unwilling to spring for graduated lenses.

I've been known to sport several pair of glasses on my noggin at once; one on the nose tip and one or more perched atop my head. If they made electronic components a little larger, so that they could use print larger than a half-point, I wouldn't need to.

G

·
By the time you are old enough to need the glasses you should be able to play your guitar without needing to see it- so glasses are not required in front of an audience. Especially an acoustic guitar.

·
Premium Member
27,278 Posts
They're not for looking at the fretboard, but for looking at the setlist and audience. And I'm sure there will always be some audience members who warrant peering over one's glasses; sometimes in admiration, sometimes indisbelief, and sometimes in irritation. Specs on the nose-tip are great for many occasions.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I wear reading glasses, but not when I'm playing. I try and memorize lyrics - or just choose to make them up on the fly when that fails.

But I use reading glasses before I play and while setting up, because I can't see the gozinta's and gozouta's without them any more.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I don't need them to play, but if I take them off, I tend to leave them behind, and if I leave them hanging on the string, they rattle on the back of my guitar. I do play marginally more accurately with them on.
It's a double whammy. We need reading glasses just when our memory starts to fail us. "Why'd I go upstairs? Oh yea, to look for the glasses I absentmindedly set down somewhere."

One of these days. I'm going to move my dryer. I think I'll find 2 dozen pairs of glasses, all cozily wrapped up in one-off socks.

Reactions: bw66

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
does it really matter?

All that really matters is that you can see what your doing.

Some ppl do not do themselves justice by what they wear. My EX best friend dresses like she’s 90. The blatant flower printed, the knee highs (give me a break)really grandermotherly dresses and stacks of bracelets that “clank” together and a million necklaces. Not a really attractive, youthful oriented way of dressing.

Someone where I work thought my husband was my grandfather because he walks with cane and has plenty of grey hair.

It’s all in your perception of what “old” is.

Media doesn’t help either. We are constantly bombarded with ageism.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Reading with glasses on my nose tip while seated in front of TV just means I am interested neither in my reading nor in what's going on on TV !
That being said I am awaiting new sets of glasses this week : Aging lenghtens my sight while reducing my myopia so that I no longer need glasses to read staffs while playing ! I will get glasses to avoid any problem with my driver licence though. The bad news is cataracs began to appear... :-(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts