The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an effect pedal for sale on CraigList and I've gotten a response from somebody but I'm not sure if this guy is on the up and up or not. I'll post parts of his emails and maybe you can tell me if this guy's a scammer or not.

"I am really interested in having this item and will love to make my payment as soon as possible.I do make my payment via a certified check and hope you are okay with this,please send me your full name and address so i can use it in sending payment down to you immediately.Please do keep all other buyers off.Hope to hear from you soon."

"I will be sending your payment on as soon as I get your details. I
will be sending you a certified check by Ups next day delivery.
I will make a label for it pick up. UPS will be coming for the pick it
up as soon as you have your payment.
as soon as you cash it, I will make arrangement for the pick.
i will need you name and address to issue the payment.
Note..........will take care of the shipping and pick o so you need
not worry yourself."

I don't know why but I'm not sure if there's something fishy here. I usually just sell stuff locally and I either get cash or a money-order, I'm not too sure if I need to be wary of this potential buyer. I sure would appreciate any help in deciding whether to deal with this guy or not. Thanks!

I

·
0 Posts
That's a scam. For sure. Ask him to describe what he's buying. Ask something like, "What trombone will you be plugging into this unit?" See if he figures it out. And like The Man always says: if you can write a cheque you can give me cash. At the very least accept nothing less than a Canada Post Money Order.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think I've got similar emails. I was trying to sell something awhile ago on craigslist and I think this person responded. The payment never came. If you PM the entire email's or email them to me, I can tell you if it's the same person (you don't have to email me the persons address, just the messages). Its seems very very similar though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot guys for chiming in!

I knew that there had to be something wrong with this picture. I've asked him where he's located and he's yet to tell me. And he doesn't mention the pedal by name, he just calls it your "item".

Why don't these people just get a life and get some honest work?!
:mad:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the "Item" thing too...pretty shady. The fact the the person won't tell you where they are located is fishy as well. I mean aren't the craigslists pages suppose to be local anyways?

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
It is a scam
he is sending a certified cheque and a label so item can be picked up quickly

Put a brick in a box and give it to the UPS guy-deposit the certified cheque and see how long before it bounces

·
Registered
126 Posts
sometimes its fun to play aroud with them though... one time on craigslist some guy was selling a 1969 dodge charger for only 3000 and the pic the car looked mint... so i emailed him and he was all like well im in texas and i need you to send me a cheque.. so i replyed by saying im on my way down to texas in 2 weeks let me come and check out the car.. and he just replyed i need you to send me a cheque for the item...

what tools.. they should get honest jobs and stop wrecking online sites

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Haha I get ones like that all the time... like:

"hello
i just get you on kijiji now ...i live in kentucky but i want to buy the item for my girl friend in western part of afria so let me know if the item is still available for ale and to know the good condition of it ..you can get back to me at my personal email address [email protected]
hope to read from you fast"

Haha.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the cheque is certified it cannot bounce.. that is the reason it is certified.

However .... where is the person from I have a feeling that the cheque will be drawn on a foreign bank. ( hence the word check) and is truly not certified.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Canadian banks will hold a foreign certified cheque for 90 days-when the cheque arrives put some bricks or rocks in a box together with the cheque and UPS it back to him-he did say he was paying for the shipping.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the cheque is certified it cannot bounce.. that is the reason it is certified.

However .... where is the person from I have a feeling that the cheque will be drawn on a foreign bank. ( hence the word check) and is truly not certified.
Exactly, foreign banks, It takes our banks a week or so to realize it's no good but by then they've already cleared it. In reality it's likely not even a real check. They probably just scan a check and change the name, banking info, etc in photoshop.

My friend had someone who said he was from England send him a "money order" from Africa. He wanted to buy my friend's truck and he sent enough money to buy it and ship it. My friend had to send the "shipping fees" to another account through western union (about $2,000) and someone was supposed to contact him about picking up the truck. It bounced and he was on the hook for the money.

Obviously when he was telling me about it it was setting off all kinds of alarm bells and I told him that but I guess he just needed the money and he was desperate. He was satisfied with the teller assuring him that the money order was purchased from a real bank.

IMO Banks don't do nearly enough to combat this. They should be putting much longer holds on foreign checks, at least when they're being deposited into a regular checking account (not an international corporation or something). Or thay could at least call you to ask about it.

I

·
0 Posts

That's the scam. It's always a cheque drawn on some small arse bank from some other country where checking it's validity is hard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts