The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that in the last two or three year gibson guitars are not as good as they used to be. Are the older ones bettwer or worse??? For example is the Gibson SG 1995 better than the 2006.... i noticed that they cost less, but are the electronics as good?

·
Registered
546 Posts
"Does the year it was made, matter???

Not to me. My 96 Les Paul is as nice as any.

Vintage makes a difference between my 68 teles worth way less than a 66.

They feel the same though

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I think Gibson electronics have always been good. You shouldn't have any worries there. You do get a variation in pickups over the years.

I don't think there are any 'bad' years for Gibson. Even the Norlin years (I have a 74 Custom) have turned around where people are realizing these really are great guitars, and are commanding quite high prices.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
if anything, gibson is finally pulling it's collective socks up the last few years, after two decades of solid bitching about how they feel justified in charging several thousands of dollars for a guitar with chatter marks on the fretboard, bad fret ends, finish flaws and etc. the newest gibsons i've played have been better, but not perfect (if you want perfect, buy a PRS). they have an undeniable character though. if you're near cambridge, go into murch's music and try the heritage stuff, that's great guitars for the money (they also have PRS and gibsons, and a lot of em).

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
the cost difference is the depreciation of the guitar, after more years it will hold, then eventually rise (we hope).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts