The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old refurbished desktop Hp computer. Still powerful enough to do what I want. I just don't know if it has Bluetooth on it. It was one of the last computers to come out before USB 3.0. I've done a file search and downloaded an app which I thing is supposed to locate Bluetooth, but nothing.

I want to put a Bluetooth speaker in my bedroom. All my music and sound files are on the computer in my living room. If no Bluetooth, anyway to install it or some other suggests that don't involve running wires. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
We'd need the model # of the HP model, or maybe the motherboard manufacturer & #. Or you could use a device that searches for bluetooth, like a phone/ipad/etc, and see whether they can see your computer.

In all likelihood it does not, however. No wires = no romantic music for the bedroom, at least from your computer. Time to get a modern portable device that stores music and supports bluetooth :D

·
Registered
15,148 Posts
I have a 5 year old refurbished desktop Hp computer. Still powerful enough to do what I want. I just don't know if it has Bluetooth on it. It was one of the last computers to come out before USB 3.0. I've done a file search and downloaded an app which I thing is supposed to locate Bluetooth, but nothing.

I want to put a Bluetooth speaker in my bedroom. All my music and sound files are on the computer in my living room. If no Bluetooth, anyway to install it or some other suggests that don't involve running wires. Thanks.
There's a usb3?

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gonna get a dongle. That actually sounds weird when I think about it.

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you ask for a USB bluetooth plug in. Don't ask the the sales person if they have a dongle, they might smack you one on the nose.
Went to the store today and asked for a Bluetooth USB Adapter. The clerk says "Oh, you mean a dongle." :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
where do they get these names, i want to invent a new name for something...
I'm down with patenting "Thingy", "Thing-a-ma-jig" & ""Whosey-what's-it".

Sent from my other brain.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Bluetooth doesn't work well over a long range. You may have trouble if your bedroom is far (like more than 10-20') from your living room. Sonos runs over Wifi and has a longer range than comparable Bluetooth setups. I have a Bose Bluetooth speaker and it's a PITA. You'll like the file system better with Sonos too when you run it with the Sonos app since it aggregates your mp3 collection and streaming services together.

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Works fine.

·
Registered
15,148 Posts
My Bluetooth speaker is about the only thing musical in my house that embraces the modern era of technology.
'bout the same here. My bt speaker assy sits next to the wife's radio in the living room and hasn't been used in probably two months or so. There's a clock radio in the bed room that comes on at 6:28 in the am and is turned off about 6:28:30. Tuned to the same country channel. It's a bitch to still be married and working.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts